• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question why does plesk change the postfix mail log file to /var/log/maillog ?

PeterKi

Regular Pleskian
The default mail log file in Ubuntu is /var/log/mail.log which is also configured in /etc/logrotate.d/rsyslog
Plesk does change the default in /etc/rsyslog.d/plesk-mail.conf to /var/log/maillog.
Thus, logrotate does not work without modifying the rsyslog config file.

Is there a special reason why plesk does change the log file?
Can I change the log file in plesk-mail.conf without breaking any plesk features?

Sorry for being not precise enough.
I do not want to manage rotation settings for /var/log/maillog.
I am looking to change /etc/rsysllog.d/plesk-mail.conf to
mail.* -/var/log/mail.log
or even remove /etc/rsyslog.d/plesk-mail.conf at all.
Then mail logs should be in /var/log/mail.log which in turn gets rotated by logrotate

What is the advantage of removing a fully integrated automatic rotation by Plesk that you can customize by y different log file name and your own rotation? What can your own rotation do better than the one provided by Plesk?

Most default log rotations suck (as does the defaults coming with logrotate)
I want all my log files rotate by size only, never by date, and I want a certain history.
Having my log files with the standard names (i.e mail.log instead of maillog) also works out of the box with logwatch.
I like logwatch as it keeps me informed about warnings and errors by a single mail once a day.

Back