• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Why does plesk suck so much?

ssensi

New Pleskian
Well i have been using plesk for about 3 months now and it has been a true nightmare.
I have been hacked,bugs everyday,plesk panel stop working,auto updating working *** and the list just goes on.

I think i have used over 150 hours on this buggy *** and i have spend several hundreds on hieing people to fix plesk every time it breaks down and that is a lot of times.
I have never had so much *** with a server before i started to use plesk.

Yesterday i had to move my website from one server to another server due to plesk crashing ,with a fresh install of plesk it just took about 8 hours before plesk ruined the new server as well .
Im felling like plesk is a beta full of bugs and should not even be released,so for me only option is to go back to cpanel at lest i do not have to spend 100s of hours to fix the damn server everytime.

Now im stuck with a broken server again due to plesk and im running out of money to hire people in again for the 4th time,so what do you plesk developer have to say about this matter?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to ask you. You write that spent a lot of time dealing with various problems. I wonder why you did not get the help of Plesk community or Parallels Support team? Here, in our community, people help each other with solving problems. And a lot of Parallels representatives are actively involved in it.

Now I see a user with three messages, two of which - abusive. Sorry, but it looks like a provocation. Let's talk about the problems constructively in detail and without emotion. And then you get help of our Plesk community.

Well i do not have time to hang around this forum all day to try to solve my problems i need my websites online so i can earn money and not loose money trying to fix it.
I just need plesk to work as it should and not waist all this time trying to repair it every time it breaks down.
Atm i have 2 useless servers running plesk one server i can't even log in to plesk panel due to a failed auto update.
My new server is at lest online but i can not get my website online and every time i click a link in the plesk panel i get redirected to the login page and have to log in again.

When i try to open large folders in file manager i get this error:internal error.502 Bad Gateway nginx
Tried to extract a backup .zip from file manager and overwrite all files,but that did also not work so i had to scp and delete all files manual and then extract the zip file.

So is there a way to repair plesk and keep my files intact?
And if i re install plesk will it screw up the thing i have manual installed such as ffmpeg,memcoder,mplayer etc?

Do you guys offer support to look at it to see whats wrong?

Try to repair broken Plesk servers with bootstrapper repair procedure first:

# /usr/local/psa/bootstrapper/pp11.5.30-bootstrapper/bootstrapper.sh repair

Problem with 502 Bad Gateway nginx you can fix with increasing the buffer size inside the file "/etc/sw-cp-server/config".

Before

-------

fastcgi_buffers 16 16k;
fastcgi_buffer_size 32k;

After

------

fastcgi_buffers 32 32k;
fastcgi_buffer_size 64k;

Contact Parallels Support Team if you are not familiar with Linux administration in command line.

I'm not sure about ffmpeg, mencoder, mplayer, etc. because this third-party software were not tested with Plesk. But these links can be useful for you:

http://www.grafxsoftware.com/faq.ph...2-and-yamdi-on-plesk-linux-based-server/1/16/
http://www.9xphp.com/Thread-FFMPEG-on-CentOS-6-Plesk-server

First of all thanks for the fast reply,the repair did not solve my problems.
I'm not sure if i qualify to get free support.
I have 3 vps servers from strato with 3 times 100 domain licenses.

I'm a webmaster so i am not so familiar with Linux administration in command line and that's the main reason i am so frustrated with all the problems i have with plesk.

Ssensi,

Be aware of the following:

- Strato is often target of attack,
- VPS Servers are, depending on their configuration and/or the virtualization system used, often the cause of many (many) problems,
- Plesk is well-designed to work properly in a VPS box,
- VPS boxes are often sharing capacity (memory, hardware, settings and so forth), giving rising to many (many) problems,

and I can continue for a long time.

Hence, the proper thing to do is to start determining which problems are related to the VPS (and not Plesk).

Please check the logs of the VPS thoroughly.

Kind regards......

PS It should also be noted that a simple move, from 3 VPS with 3 Plesk 100-domain license, to a (clean) dedicated server with a Plesk unlimited license, is more costeffective, more convenient in maintenance, more profitable and most important, is very likely to resolve all the issues you encounter.

Sadly you are right about strato,they are the worst hosting provider in the world.
Only thing they are good at is blaming someone else for all the problems,just like they said plesk was to blame for all my problems.
I am moving all my websites away from them as soon as i got my own server,but for now i got to hold out with them at lest another month (already lost over 30k daily visitors from just 1 website)

The strange thing is that the server and my website was working perfect until i got hacked,so it should be possible to get it working again.
You are right about moving my websites to a dedicated but the problem is that my websites are huge and uses a insane amount of bandwidth and resources so i need to buy a very good server to be able to move all my websites to just 1 server.
I have moved my website 4 times due to being kicked out from the hosting providers due to bandwidth so next time i will move them to own server with colocation with unmetered bandwidth.

Last edited:
We have many servers doing various things in combination with Plesk. (however none of them are doing transcoding)
All working without any issues.

However, if you maintain only 1-5 sites, I see no need for a Control Panel.
It is better to use a custom apache setup with FastCGI if needed.

If you need help from a Parallels 7 year+ Partner, hit me up.
We have experience in Plesk 7 to 11.5 and can totally recommend 11.5 for it's versatility.

We can also write custom apache wrappers for Plesk if you need special jobs to be performed.
PHP and Bash scripting jobs are also not a problem.

Kind regards,

Stéphan

I was blocked by cpanel support for no reason at all, only sent two polite emails to them in 5 years, this is why I moved to a new server and selected Plesque, but that's where all the problems started. Gosh! I am looking for a third CP provider now. Perhaps Interworx? I am defintely not a provokator but I want to have a LIFE instead of dealing with problems on a daily basis instead of having able to do my work :)

@banknote Sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues. There is a wealth of support available for you. Besides the extensive online documentation and knowledge base, official Plesk support is a fantastic knowledgeable team who can solve practically everything if it is related to Plesk. Have you tried support? On this forum here are many qualified and experienced expert users who are also willing to help. Maybe you can open a thread and describe the specific issue so that some of them can help you with it?

but that's where all the problems started
Plesk now is way more better product than 4+ years ago, you don't have to take my word for it but what kind of problems you're facing? I'm curios.

@ssensi

In your days, The panel was a mess, I was with cPanel watching them from a distance grow but nowadays it's a complete solution.

Thanks for the heads up. Some of the problems were resolved by the hosting support and some may not be related to Plesk. I am currently overwhelmed by all kinds of issues not only related to Plesk afer moving to a new server and will post an update after the problems are resolved and will describe what was done to resolve them.

About 1,5 years later after having peace of mind, and remembering how many plugins I could get from WordPress in Cpanel I decided to download WordPress into Plesk. Oh, what a difference! WP in Plesk is completely convoluted and useless. What a pile of rubbish. When I get a chance I am going back to CP.

Back