• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

why is mail so slow to connect to server when sending mail?

V

vickibellamy

I am using Plesk 8.21 linux and have configured my email on apple mail application.

It works ok however there seems to be a delay (of up to a minute) in sending mail. It takes time to connect to the server.

Receiving mail is instantaneous.

Is there a way to speed this delay time in conecting to the server when sending mail?

Regards,

Vicki Bellamy

Hi Faris,
Many thanks for your reply, however Im not sure how to locate the smtp_psa file. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Vicki

Hi Vickie,

If you are running redhat/centos/fedora type operating systems, it is in:

/etc/xinet.d/

Once you make the change, do do the following:

service xinetd restart

in order to make the change actually come into effect.

Use the locate command to find files.. e.g. locate xyz.txt will find xyz.txt for you. You may have to run the command updatedb to update the database first though. There's also a find command in linux. Use: man find (or man locate) for very basic usage instructions. Also remember Google is your friend! You'll find all sorts of interesting stuff. e.g. search for "find a file in linux" or similar. That's what I do when I can't remember, or don't know, how to do a particular thing that I need to do. You'd be amazed how much useful information there is out there.

Faris.

Hi Faris, Thanks for your swift response, I am however using mac OS 10.5 tiger, can I use terminal to access the file. Or is it available on my plesk control panel? I am really not a techie so this is all new to me.

Many thanks,
Vicki

Hi Faris,
If I login to my root plesk control panel I can accress the file via file manager which is located in the directory etc/xinetd.d and amend the smtp_psa file then upload it. Would this work do you think as I am unfamiliar with linux.

Thanks Vicki

I'm sorry for my slow reply.

Yes, what you suggest should work. Remember that the change you are making will be on the server itself, and will affect all users of that server. But adding the -Rt0 is a good thing and will benefit everybody!!

I didn't know Plesk's file manager would work on system files though. That's interesting and a bit worrying. Still, if it works then good. Otherwise you'll need to connect to the server via SSH. Mac OS X has an SSH client as standard, though I don't know how it works or how you would launch it.

Faris.

Hi again Faris,

I am experiencing the same problem in plesk 8.6 in that smtp is very slow in connection when sending email, yet cannot seem to locate etc/xinetd.d and amend the smtp_psa.

Can you help?

Back