• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Why the speed of my server is too low?

bestAdmin

Basic Pleskian
I have a server with CentOS 6 and Plesk 12 with a plan of 1gbps of bandwith, but I can't exceed the 5MB/s when I download a file with HTTP or FTP. Only in the first seconds I download at a rate of 20MB/s, but after 5-6 seconds the rate falls at 5MB/s. Why?

Hello,

is a simple, first you must create e big file for trasfer, whit this command:

Code:
dd bs=1024 count=1 seek=$((1024*1024*2-1)) if=/dev/zero of=file_to_create

after this:

Code:
scp {name of file you created} [email protected]:/root/

insert password, and see progress bar of this command on the right, show Mb/sec, is necessary a remote server whit a gigabit network.

Last edited:
I don't have another server to test, but I used a 500mbps connection.

EDIT: Now I redo the test, downloading a 2GB file with FTP and the speed is about 300KB/s :(

Last edited:
Hi there,

I also have some slow speed issues on my server (just started last week). I was getting 15MB/s download speeds for my 12Gig backups using FTP, and now I get an average of 400kps. It's almost like there's a bandwidth limit on the domain. Strangely, I get 1.3mbs upload speed to the same FTP account.

I have tested this using SSH copy, FTP, FTPS and moving the file to the domain and downloading with HTTP. All the same 400kps speed on average.

I checked or any Bandwidth Limiting settings - -but they are all "unlimited" -- so think there is some bug somewhere in the #50 update or something that caused this.

Anyone else suddenly have this happen? The 12g download takes 9 hours now instead of 30 minutes -- I need to fix this somehow.

I have contacted the colo, and nothing is being limited there.

I even installed speedtest-cli.py and it shows me 90MB/s up AND down speeds from the server, so that thing is rockin at the colo.

Its just using SSH, FTP or HTTP - that downloads are limited to 400kps on average.

It's not my cable either -- because Im getting 12mb/s downloads from godaddy..... so has to be something on my Plesk server.

Im on Centos 6.2, Plesk 12.5#51

I have similar problem in my data center, more Time ago, i solve this changing switch port of server, first the change the max speed of server is 5MB/ sec, after 90MB/sec, i have found the problem, but is not in the switch port, but in cable, incredibile!!, one week of analisys, and more,more time following the cause. This is a very hard problem!!

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

I have asked to my provider if there are some problems on the switch and they changed the port and the cable and the problem remains. After they tell me to try do download a large file with "wget" by command line and effectively the speed is about 30MB/s, but on FTP the speed is about 5MB/s and with HTTP 200-400KB/s.
I think there is a problem with Plesk.

UPDATE: I update Plesk to the last version and the HTTP and FTP speed is about 5MB/s, it's better but I think that is too low consider the link of 500mbps used to test (the sarver has 1gbps).

UPDATE 2: After some hours after the improvement resulted by the update, the speed has fallen at the level of about 200KB/s again...

Last edited:
Back