• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Windows 2008 web 64 bits

zooming

Regular Pleskian
Can I install Plesk 8.6 on a Windows 2008 Web 64 bits server?
It's not clear in Parallels' web site.
Won't I have problems with SQL Server 2005 Express, MailEnable, MySQL, PHP, etc?

Thank you.
Alexandre

We had a customer who wanted that and we reluctantly gave it to them.

Plesk on x64 Sucks
Plesk on Windows 2008 Sucks
Plesk on x64 + Windows 2008 _REALLY_ sucks.

We ended up giving this customer a full refund.

one of my customer have windows 2008 running plesk 8.6 now. If you don't do any customization to the apps then it will work fine. But once you need to install stuffs like zend optimizer or asp addons, you will be faced to lots of incompatibility problems. I can't say its all because of plesk but more on the support for 64bit windows is really not there yet. Even zend and ioncube does not have 64bit version of their products yet. Really bad idea to do this.

one of my customer have windows 2008 running plesk 8.6 now. If you don't do any customization to the apps then it will work fine. But once you need to install stuffs like zend optimizer or asp addons, you will be faced to lots of incompatibility problems. I can't say its all because of plesk but more on the support for 64bit windows is really not there yet. Even zend and ioncube does not have 64bit version of their products yet. Really bad idea to do this.

Hello abubin,

Could you provide more details about problems with Zend Optimizer and IonCube? What errors occur?

zend optimizer and ioncube only have 32bit versions for windows. So, no native 64bit support for windows 2008.

In order to install zend and ioncube, one need to do a little more work which is to hook 32bit version into IIS7 through some methods. How to do it? I don't know cause I haven't done so yet. Google around and you will see one or two skecthy methods where people mentioning how they got it to work. Even zend and ioncube site doesn't have proper tutorial to install their 32bit software in 64bit windows.

one example : http://www.viart.com/forum_topic.php?thread_id=1745&page=1#message_form

I am not going to risk installing it on customer's live system. Nor have I resources to test it on a test system.

zend optimizer and ioncube only have 32bit versions for windows. So, no native 64bit support for windows 2008.

In order to install zend and ioncube, one need to do a little more work which is to hook 32bit version into IIS7 through some methods. How to do it? I don't know cause I haven't done so yet. Google around and you will see one or two skecthy methods where people mentioning how they got it to work. Even zend and ioncube site doesn't have proper tutorial to install their 32bit software in 64bit windows.

one example : http://www.viart.com/forum_topic.php?thread_id=1745&page=1#message_form

I am not going to risk installing it on customer's live system. Nor have I resources to test it on a test system.

Plesk forcely switches IIS7 to 32bit mode during installation. Thus all 32bit applications/extensions should work properly.

Back