• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

windows server 2003 web edition & hosting

D

Deltafox

Are there people whom are using windows server 2003 web edition for hosting? (probably a lot)

What are the Limitations?

- I found this interresting URL:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/overview/web.mspx

- but are there limitations about concurrent users, does anybody have problems with this?

What about the licensing?

This is what's in the URL above:

- To Microsoft customers with Enterprise, Select, and Open licensing agreements.

- To service providers with a service provider licensing agreement (SPLA).

- Through Microsoft original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and System Builder partners.

So if i have OEM i don't need SPLA?

EDIT:
Windows Server 2003, Web Edition

$399 Open NL

Web Server product, no CALs required. Windows Server 2003, Web Edition, is not available in all channels. Open NL estimated price is $399. Contact your local System Builder, OEM, or reseller for actual prices or for more information on how to purchase.

source: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/pricing.mspx

2003 Web Ed has the same limitations as 2003 Standard, its just that Web Ed can't be promoted to a Domain Controller nor will it let you install SQL server or Exchange which require services only in Standard and above (like clustering or Active Directory hosting).

If you are going to use 2k3 Web Ed for commercial hosting, you HAVE to get an SPLA license. The OEM license is null and void when you start using the services that are a part of Windows for commercial use. OEM licensing is meant primarily for Intranet useage. Yes, if you buy a server appliance with it installed as OEM, you still have to get an SPLA license and adhere to their requirements to keep it. Pricing isn't bad though, I think its 10 bucks a month per Web ed. license.

There is a long thread here where I got some clarification from MS about it. You can find it by searching. Your best bet is to rent a windows box from some place like The Planet or their ServerMatrix division. where you don't have to worry about licenseing.

Also, I dont believe web edition includes the media server that standard edition should.

Ok, I called Microsoft for this question:

They said my OEM license I bought a few months ago was a valid license at the time I bought it, but now I have to use the SPLA license and there is no solution for it.

So I bought a legal microsoft product for my purpose and one month later it's illegal :(

This is one of the reasons why we just lease the license from the datacenter.

When you sign up for SPLA, you pay for the license monthly and you can also have MS send you the installation media. Otherwise, your SPLA license replaces the OEM license.

Back