• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

WooCommerce Paypal not working due to CURL/NSS issues

Chris1

Regular Pleskian
Hello,

We have a client trying to use the PayPal gateway via WooCommerce in Wordpress but are getting errors upon submitting a shopping cart order.

The customer is using Plesk provided PHP version.

A section of the PayPal gateway code which I believe is causing the problem is this:

Code:
curl_setopt( $handle, CURLOPT_SSL_CIPHER_LIST, 'TLSv1' );

Upon submitting a test order, logs show the following error:

Code:
WC_Gateway_PPEC_Client::_request: exception is thrown while trying to make a request to PayPal: An error occurred while trying to connect to PayPal: Unknown cipher in list: TLSv1

It appears that CURL is using NSS instead of OpenSSL, and from reading a number of comments on various websites, specifying the "TLSv1" option above will not work with NSS.

Is there a way to change it so customers utilize OpenSSL instead of NSS to get around this problem?

Edit: I get the following error when I comment out that line:

Code:
WC_Gateway_PPEC_Client::_request: exception is thrown while trying to make a request to PayPal: An error occurred while trying to connect to PayPal: SSL connect error

Last edited:
It seems that Plesk compile their PHP versions for CURL to work with NSS, whilst CloudLinux compliles their PHP versions for CURL to work with OpenSSL. Does this sound right?

Back