• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Wordpress and CPU Usage

@KonstantinosS

Thanks for the additional arguments "pro"!

I must add that "fpm served by Nginx" does not always outperform "fpm served by Apache", but that is inherent to the default configuration of Nginx, as provided with Plesk.

In a more non-standard configuration of Nginx, the "fpm served by Nginx" option can be used to it´s full extent (even though other, better alternatives exist).

Furthermore, I can also add that the "PHP7 + Nginx stack" (as you call it) will become even more elaborate and functional in the near future: a new Nginx version!

The latest releases of Nginx are even more powerful that the current Nginx version (even when not having all kinds of modules).

It is just a matter of time, before a new Nginx version enters the Plesk stack.

Regards.........

FPM by far, especially if you use it with nginx. I especially like the php7+nginx stack lately, as it blows apache by far! Also have a look at the number of requests your site creates, as it has a small impact as well on the server.

So with php7.0.3 applications server by apache i am already using nginx?

@Kingsley,

No, not automatically: Nginx has to be installed.

Normally, Nginx is installed, but you verify that by opening the Plesk Panel and go to "Tools & Settings > Services Management (under Server Management)" and you should see a line, with the text "Reverse proxy server (nginx)" with a green box before it, if Nginx is installed and running.

Regards....

@Kingsley,

No, not automatically: Nginx has to be installed.

Normally, Nginx is installed, but you verify that by opening the Plesk Panel and go to "Tools & Settings > Services Management (under Server Management)" and you should see a line, with the text "Reverse proxy server (nginx)" with a green box before it, if Nginx is installed and running.

Regards....

alright thanks.... wanna help me out with the dns template? i have created a thread for it just 1 reply

@KonstantinosS

Thanks for the additional arguments "pro"!

I must add that "fpm served by Nginx" does not always outperform "fpm served by Apache", but that is inherent to the default configuration of Nginx, as provided with Plesk.

In a more non-standard configuration of Nginx, the "fpm served by Nginx" option can be used to it´s full extent (even though other, better alternatives exist).

Furthermore, I can also add that the "PHP7 + Nginx stack" (as you call it) will become even more elaborate and functional in the near future: a new Nginx version!

The latest releases of Nginx are even more powerful that the current Nginx version (even when not having all kinds of modules).

It is just a matter of time, before a new Nginx version enters the Plesk stack.

Regards.........
No problem @trialotto.

Sorry if I'm not as knowledgable as you are in php-fpm, or server configuration. I am pretty sure that there are far more non-standard configurations of nginx from the default one. Surely there are numerous other configurations that would outperform a default configuration of php7 with apache 2.4, or php7 with nginx. In my case, the switch to php-fpm served by nginx with php7 instead of php served by Apache with FastCGI reduced the loading time by an average of 0.4s per load, according to http://tools.pingdom.com and http://www.gtmetrix.net. However, I do have to note that I'm using apache 2.2 and not apache 2.4, as I'm running CentOS 6.

However, I would be very interested in having a thread about optimizing Apache and nginx to run faster and with less memory footprint, as from what I recall, apache is quite memory hungry.

@Kingsley

Can you provide the URL of the thread you are mentioning? If I have time, I will have a look and respond in that specific thread.

Regards...

@KonstantinosS

I am aware of the "challenge" associated with "installing Apache 2.4 on CentOS 6": it is possible, but very error-prone.

However, it is not really necessary to have a look at that challenge: "Apache is Apache" and our aim is to reduce resource usage (of many kinds, memory usage in particular).

A number of alternatives to consider are:

a) Redis cache: offload use of memory to Redis, that also uses memory, but in a more efficient (and lightning fast) way, (and)

b) Nginx: to serve static content and/or static pages, (and)

c) CDN: to offload parts of the requests to multiple Apache and/or Nginx based server, (and)

d) Nginx (custom binary, latest releases): implementation of the HTTP/2 protocol,

and so on.

Note that the bottleneck of Apache is not quite exactly that it uses a "lot of memory", it is more about the number of requests that can be served per second.

Implementing FPM can already result in a reduction of the effects of the Apache bottleneck, but to improve performance, one has to tweak FPM settings.

The problem is that tweaking FPM settings is quite dangerous and really depends on the scenario on hand: it is different for every server and deployment scenario.

For that reason, a rough guideline of tweaking FPM settings would be very difficult to make, since it does not generally apply to all situations.

Here is where Nginx and Redis enter the equation: they can both handle a massive number of requests per second AND offload requests from Apache at the same time.

A true win-win situation, that really requires some guidelines with respect to implementation.

To be honest, I agreed upon and, in a sense, promised to write some Plesk DevBlog articles about that.

That would satisfy your request of "creating some separate (topic) threads".

The problem is only that I did not find the time yet to write the DevBlog articles, but I will keep you posted.

If you would like to have an update on all of the above, just start a personal conversation: this would be much appreciated, since you can ask questions or make some suggestions, that can possibly be included in the DevBlog articles.

Regards.....

@Kingsley

Can you provide the URL of the thread you are mentioning? If I have time, I will have a look and respond in that specific thread.

Regards...

is about setting up a branded nameserver which i have done, unfortunately the site has refused to open on PC just mobile browser... i have cleared cache, flushed dns........

Back