• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Wordpress automatic update not really automatic

VKD

New Pleskian
Each day we go to the Wordpress Toolkit and check if there are updates available for the themes and plugins.

When there are updates, we need to click the "update all now" link.

So when we do no enter the Wordpress Toolkit page, the updates will not be installed.

Is there no option that these updates are really installed automatically?

So without our manual clicking the "update all now" link.

I hope somebody has a solution for this.

This happened to me a few month ago. Make sure that the cron job exists and actually works.
Auto-Update works fine now.

We have the con task, but the updates are not installed automatically. Also when we manually start the cron task, then it reports no errors. But when we go the wordpress toolkit, then we still see that there are still the same number of updates. The only way to get the updates installed, is by pressing the "update all now" link.
Of course we can click daily on the "update all now" link, but it would be nice when all of this happened automatically.

Attachments

• Cron.JPG
    Cron.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Cron2.JPG
    Cron2.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Cron3.JPG
    Cron3.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Cron4.JPG
    Cron4.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 10
We have the con task, but the updates are not installed automatically. Also when we manually start the cron task, then it reports no errors. But when we go the wordpress toolkit, then we still see that there are still the same number of updates. The only way to get the updates installed, is by pressing the "update all now" link.
Of course we can click daily on the "update all now" link, but it would be nice when all of this happened automatically.

I just checked again and the auto-update doesn't work anymore on our machines as well.
I can reproduce what VKD explained.

@IgorG
Can you give us an update on this? Can you reproduce the issue?

This is a major bumper that keeps us from switching to 100% managed WP via Plesk away from other 3rd Party tools. :(

FYI: I contacted Plesk support and they told me that the current version of the wordpress toolkit only installs automatically the wordpress updates, and not the plesk plugins and themes.
They wrote "Our development team has investigated the issue and confirmed that such feature currently under developing and will be implemented in wordpress toolkit this autumn."
By manually clicking the "update all now" link, then pleks can install the plugins and themes updates.
So i find it very strange that this cannot be done automatically via a cronjob, but can only be done by a daily manual clicking on a link.

FYI: I contacted Plesk support and they told me that the current version of the wordpress toolkit only installs automatically the wordpress updates, and not the plesk plugins and themes.
They wrote "Our development team has investigated the issue and confirmed that such feature currently under developing and will be implemented in wordpress toolkit this autumn."
By manually clicking the "update all now" link, then pleks can install the plugins and themes updates.
So i find it very strange that this cannot be done automatically via a cronjob, but can only be done by a daily manual clicking on a link.

Thanks for telling us ! !

@IgorG Is this officially documented somewhere?
What they say makes sense, according to the auto-update settings one can only choose the level of updates for WP itself. I guess there will be an option to also auto-update plugins then? :cool:

Hello,

Unfortunately, at now WordPress toolkit do not have a feature to apply plug-ins and themes updates automatically. Only WordPress itself could be updated automatically according corresponding settings. But we have a plan to add such feature in future.

We have to do some prerequisite work first, so there's no specific ETA at the moment, but rest assured that this feature is definitely on our roadmap.

wp-cli is installed here
Code:
/opt/psa/admin/plib/modules/wp-toolkit/vendor/wp-cli/wp-cli/bin/

Update example - wp core then plugins
Code:
sudo -u <username> wp core update --path=<path-to-wordpress docroot>
sudo -u <username> wp plugin update --all --path=<path-to-wordpress docroot>

You would need to fully qualify the path to the wp binary...

This is untested on a Plesk server - I use this method on non Plesk servers dedicated to WP installs.
Easy to place in a script and schedule via cron.

You can also create a cron and run:
Code:
plesk ext wp-toolkit --wp-cli -instance-id <wordpress-instance-id> -- plugin update --all

@iHuman thanks for the syntax. I have to add some more.

List all wordpress installations including the instance IDs:
Bash:
sudo plesk ext wp-toolkit --list

Update all themes for the WP instance 10:
Bash:
sudo plesk ext wp-toolkit --wp-cli -instance-id 10  -- theme update --all

Update all plugins for the WP instance 10:
Bash:
sudo plesk ext wp-toolkit --wp-cli -instance-id 10  -- plugin update --all

Update WP core for the WP instance 10:
Bash:
sudo plesk ext wp-toolkit --wp-cli -instance-id 10  -- core update --all