• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

WordPress deployment to Plesk - Best Practices?

SquanchIt

New Pleskian
Hey guys, I am new to Plesk and I've been using CPanel for the past 5 years, and I was hoping to pick the brains of the Plesk Experts here.

The way I would deploy WordPress to cPanel is that I would use Capistrano and Git. I would run all plugins updates locally, make any necessary changes to the theme and custom plugins, use Git submodule to pull latest WordPress core into its own directory, then push everything to Git, then use Capistrano to deploy the contents of the repository to the cPanel account.

The reason why I liked this setup is because
1. If WordPress core, plugin or theme files gets hacked or corrupt on the server, I can simply re-deploy the Git repository and it all gets fixed.
2. I can use Capistrano to pull the database and uploads from either staging or production environments to my local development environment within seconds and develop locally, and then push the code, database and uploads folder to either staging or production from my localhost

My understanding is that while Plesk does allow Git deployment, however, the WordPress toolkit mainly focuses on managing WordPress by implementing security, installing plugins and updates DIRECTLY on the server. My concern with using Plesk's Git deployment is if I make modifications to the my custom theme and plugins on my localhost and then push to Git, won't it overwrite WordPress Toolkit's work? Would I need to re-run WordPress Toolkit to re-apply all the changes after I deploy through Git?

I am open to the idea that my way of deploying is not the right way, and that perhaps Plesk has a better approach, but I am still trying to figure out what that approach is.

Say I created a new WordPress instance on Plesk using WordPress Toolkit, is there a way to clone the website from Plesk's staging environment into my local environment so that I could make code changes locally and then push them back to Plesk's staging server? For example if I wanted to clone the site to my localhost so that I could add a child theme, make any necessary modifications, then code a custom plugin, test everything locally and then push it to Staging to show it to the client. Is it possible with Plesk? Or in order to take advantage of WordPress Toolkit must I develop directly on the staging site?

I would love to hear from you guys about how you develop WordPress sites and deploy to Plesk.

Back