• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

WordPress multisite domain mapping with subdirectories NOT subdomains!

fab5freddie

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
AlmaLinux 8.5 (Arctic Sphynx)
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.47 Update #4
Hi Folks,

I've a problem.

I've been looking for a solution for domain mapping with subfolders for days, unfortunately without success.

For mapping with subdomains I find many solutions, but not for subfolders.

I have only found this video:

However, the mapping is shown with CPanel. Is there a way to do the same with Plesk?

I always get stuck with the document root, because it is solved differently with CPanel than with Plesk.

I hope someone can help me who may have had the same problem.

Thanks in advance

Kind regards
fab5freddie

@IgorG

do you know maybe a solution for me? i have now built a multisite with 13 websites and i can't start again from scratch because i have to change everything from subdirectories to subdomains.

thanks in advance

regards freddie

my current problem is as follows ...

in this example you see my main domain and for every country a own website

fiat.com (main domain)
fiat.com/de
fiat.com/it
fiat.com/es
fiat.com/uk
fiat.com/mx

but now i want to point each domain to a subdirectory.

fiat.de ------> fiat.com/de
fiat.it -------> fiat.com/it
fiat.es ------> fiat.com/es
fiat.co.uk --> fiat.com/uk
fiat.mx -----> fiat.com/mx

but i can't point the domain to the subdirectories by using plesk's domain alias and i can't point it by cname in the dns. in both cases it's not allowed to use a "/".

what can i do?

Adding aliases to you main domain (fiat.com) in Plesk and disabling the "Redirect with the HTTP 301 code" option for these aliases is all that's required. That's if you've configured your WP MU correctly of course.

Last edited:
Hello @fab5freddie
If I understand correctly, your multisite setup is already working and you just need to configure new domains to open as already existing corresponding sub directories (without redirects).

If your country-specific domains already added into Plesk, you need to change document root directory for each of these domains. You can make it there: Domains (left menu item) > {your domain} > Hosting & DNS (tab) > Hosting settings > Document root.
Your country domains must be on the same Subscription as your main domain (where multisite configured) for its docroot be accessible.
Also you still need to adjust site URLs in your multisite network dashboard (as shown in the video you provided).

Adding aliases to you main domain (fiat.com) in Plesk and disabling the "Redirect with the HTTP 301 code" option for these aliases is all that's required. That's if you've configured your WP MU correctly of course.
what you mean with "disabling"? changing hosting-type to "no webhosting"?

Hello @fab5freddie
If I understand correctly, your multisite setup is already working and you just need to configure new domains to open as already existing corresponding sub directories (without redirects).

If your country-specific domains already added into Plesk, you need to change document root directory for each of these domains. You can make it there: Domains (left menu item) > {your domain} > Hosting & DNS (tab) > Hosting settings > Document root.
Your country domains must be on the same Subscription as your main domain (where multisite configured) for its docroot be accessible.
Also you still need to adjust site URLs in your multisite network dashboard (as shown in the video you provided).
everything is working except the pointing to the domains. could you kindly show me some screenshots for a better understanding, please?

Just to be sure so I understand your issue correctly. Are you trying to redirect (forward) visitors who visit fiat.de to your site at fiat.com/de?

no, not any kind of redirection.
pointing by domain alias, dns etc. is important for me. when a user goes to fiat.de then the url may not change visible to fiat.com/de. but frame redirection is also not wanted.

Right, thank you for clarifying.

So in WP you're network sites should be configured like this:
wp-sites.png

Then in Plesk you configure you domains like this:
domnains.png

everything is working except the pointing to the domains. could you kindly show me some screenshots for a better understanding, please?
Hope this short screencast will help. I believe this are settings in Plesk similar to those shown in the video about cPanel you provided.

Back