• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Wordpress Multisite - Domain Mapping

The article explains how to use a Wordpress multisite installation to service different domains from different subdirectories. That does not seem to be what you want.

If you have one Wordpress multisite installation and several domain names hat shall be serviced by that one installation from the same Wordpress directory, but displaying the corresponding different domain name depending on which domain was requested from a browser, then add all the additional domains as "domain aliases" with the "add alias" button. Wordpress will sort out which content to display depending on the domain name used for the request, but all your domains will point to the same installation in the same directory.

The article explains how to use a Wordpress multisite installation to service different domains from different subdirectories. That does not seem to be what you want.

If you have one Wordpress multisite installation and several domain names hat shall be serviced by that one installation from the same Wordpress directory, but displaying the corresponding different domain name depending on which domain was requested from a browser, then add all the additional domains as "domain aliases" with the "add alias" button. Wordpress will sort out which content to display depending on the domain name used for the request, but all your domains will point to the same installation in the same directory.
Brill - this sorted my issue out in seconds - thank you !

I need to use a mapped domain for my WordPress multisite, configured a new domain as a domain alias under the main domain, then changed the site URL from WordPress network admin, it always showing Plesk default page on accessing the URL

Thanks in advance,

Domain alias dont have a option to configure separte mailboxes. Is another solution for this?

@Peter Debik
Hi Peter. Thanks for that.
How can i achieve that if my domains have different IPS ?
I have added the IPs on the server. My Multiste is well mapped in wordpress with different IPs but i dont see where i change the IP address of a domain alias

You cannot change the IP address of an alias, because in the web server configuration files, the alias is defined in the same section like the domain name, including the same IP address. In that case you need to add the domain as a separate domain instead of an alias and point it to the same document root directory like your main domain.

You cannot change the IP address of an alias, because in the web server configuration files, the alias is defined in the same section like the domain name, including the same IP address. In that case you need to add the domain as a separate domain instead of an alias and point it to the same document root directory like your main domain.
Hello Peter

I want to have separate domains with mailboxes.

In the "Change Hosting Type" Document root - only httpdocs obviously does not work.

What is the path to the document root directory of the main domain?

Thanks in advance

@Intersectum You seem to have a different issue from what the thread owner had posted. Could you please open a separate thread and describe in detail what you wish to accomplish and what exactly does not work for you?

@Intersectum You seem to have a different issue from what the thread owner had posted. Could you please open a separate thread and describe in detail what you wish to accomplish and what exactly does not work for you?
I just want to point the domain to the Document root of the main domain in Multisite.

I have tried this but it won't stick /var/www/vhosts/mydomin.com/httpdocs/

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 16
I just want to point the domain to the Document root of the main domain in Multisite.

I have tried this but it won't stick /var/www/vhosts/mydomin.com/httpdocs/
Once again: Please open your own thread and do not jump on other people's thread here.

Hi Peter,
I have a follow up question.
I would like to do exactly
one Wordpress multisite installation and several domain names hat shall be serviced by that one installation from the same Wordpress dir
although not with several domain but with subdomains. My multisite (subdirectory) WP install is on sub.domain.fr and I would like to point an external domain name : site1.fr to sub.domain.fr/site1
It seems that aliases with subdomains doesnt work in Plesk.
I tried to add
ServerAlias site1.fr
ServerAlias www.site1.fr in the Additional directives for HTTP from Apace (and nginx) but then site1.fr points toward sub.domain.fr and doesnt route it to as you mentionned:
Wordpress will sort out which content to display depending on the domain name used for the request, but all your domains will point to the same installation in the same directory.
any suggestions for making it works with subdomains in Plesk

it seems to work if I also add
server_name www.site1.fr;
server_name site1.fr;
in the nginx settings...

However I dont know how to setup a valid SSL certificate with this redirecting situation. Any suggestions ?

Yes
it seems to work if I also add
server_name www.site1.fr;
server_name site1.fr;
in the nginx settings...

However I dont know how to setup a valid SSL certificate with this redirecting situation. Any suggestions ?
Hi, any solution for this?
I also map the custom domain to sub-sites too
But without SSL certificate, all mapped resources (styles and js) have been blocked and subsites couldn't load normally.
Thanks

@alphantv It's long been possible to use SSL with aliases and redirects, including Let's Encrypt certificates. What issue are you facing when installing such a cert on your domain(s)?

@alphantv It's long been possible to use SSL with aliases and redirects, including Let's Encrypt certificates. What issue are you facing when installing such a cert on your domain(s)?
Thank you.
My case is: I'm building a WordPress multisite network, using subdomains for each subsite.
The subsites can be also mapped with a custom domain (our customer's domain)
So I can not use the wildcard solution for my network. For each subsite, I will create a subdomain on Plesk.
The final thing is adding the Additional Directives in Apache & Nginx Settings for each subdomain.
for HTTP/HTTPS:
ServerAlias customdomain.com
and also for Nginx:
server_name customdomain.com;
It works now.
Another question is: Could I add those lines above into the virtual host configuration files (vhost.conf, vhost_ssl.conf and vhost_nginx.conf) via Plesk API?
If it's possible, I can map the subsite to their custom domain automatically.
Thanks in advanced.

[...]
Another question is: Could I add those lines above into the virtual host configuration files (vhost.conf, vhost_ssl.conf and vhost_nginx.conf) via Plesk API?
If it's possible, I can map the subsite to their custom domain automatically.
I don't think this is possible via the Plesk API. But what you probably can do is set up an Event (in the Event Manager) that gets triggered when a (sub)domain is created and calls a bash script which configures the virtual host settings via CLI.

Have a look at this knowledge base article: https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/12377958882455
It doesn't describe your case exactly, but I feel it does illustrate the possibilities for configuring custom virtual host setting via CLI quite well.

Last edited:
Back