• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Wordpress Smart Update on individual customer

CruzMark

Regular Pleskian
We run Plesk Onyx as a hosting provider, with approximate 128 Customers per server. The only app we provide is Wordpress and the Wordpress toolkit. We just had a customer purchase the Wordpress Smart Update from the Plesk website, but there is nowhere for them to enter their license code. They only have access to Plesk as a Customer.

How does the customer enable the Smart Update functionality?

They only have access to Plesk as a Customer.
If you are Hoster for them, i.e. you are owner of Plesk server and only you have Plesk admin access then only you able to install such license.
Then you can manage the offers through service plans in Plesk.
Or do you want your customers to manage the enablement of smart updates on their own and you don't want to resell it?

In the Wordpress Extension under updates, there is a link to 'smart updates' and there there is a link for *Customers* to purchase the Smart Update extension. This should not be available to a customer if they have no way to install it. The customer has given money to plesk for a feature they can't use, at least without our intervention, and as of yet it isn't clear to me how we even would enable this for the customer.

And yes, we want customers to be able to manage smart updates on their own without us having to do anything.

If you are Hoster for them, i.e. you are owner of Plesk server and only you have Plesk admin access then only you able to install such license.
Then you can manage the offers through service plans in Plesk.
Or do you want your customers to manage the enablement of smart updates on their own and you don't want to resell it?

Hi @CruzMark,

Customers shouldn't be able to see these prompts and buy licenses that they cannot apply. We've created a bug (ID: EXTWPTOOLK-2730), and we're going to fix it soon. Thanks for letting us know!

And yes, we want customers to be able to manage smart updates on their own without us having to do anything.

It's good to know this, but this might take some time to do on our side. We'll keep this in mind, thanks.

Okay, but in this case customer was able to buy it. So...

I was able to retrieve the key and install it on the customer's domain, but what happens when the license expires? Will it auto-renew using the customer's credit card, or will it renew using the information you have for us as the hosting company?

Is there a way for me to check this?

Thanks.

Hi @CruzMark,

Customers shouldn't be able to see these prompts and buy licenses that they cannot apply. We've created a bug (ID: EXTWPTOOLK-2730), and we're going to fix it soon. Thanks for letting us know!

It's good to know this, but this might take some time to do on our side. We'll keep this in mind, thanks.

I know this is an old thread but it applies. I just logged in as a customer and attempted to purchase Smart Update and was shown this error: You do not have permission to install extensions. Please contact your hosting provider.

I looked through the permissions and don't see any place to allow it.
Thanks!

Can you add Smart Update to a subscription package when the customer initially signs up? I want to offer a plan where Smart Update is automatically included, we would pay for it and not the customer.

I know this is an old thread but it applies. I just logged in as a customer and attempted to purchase Smart Update and was shown this error: You do not have permission to install extensions. Please contact your hosting provider.

I looked through the permissions and don't see any place to allow it.
Thanks!
@custer Please check and clarfy.

Back