• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved [WP Toolkit] Cloning tld site to subdomain also changed the tld site

davidlp

New Pleskian
Cloned our site from le***ss.com to italia.le***ss.com using WP toolkit clone and now when I try to login to the wp-login of the tld site it instead makes a POST to the subdomain and even all the assets point to the subdomain site. Also, when I look at the wp toolkit index there's now 2 entries for the subdomain.

Has anyone encountered something like this? How do I salvage this aside from a full backup restore?

FWIW I am not an experienced WP admin. I was hired to manage the AWS/infra side which now includes Plesk/Wordpress.

I deleted the subdomain site and redid the clone and now it goes the other way around. The wp-login.php scripts and assets of the subdomain site point to the tld site so that when I login, it makes the POST request to the tld site. Is this acceptable/expected behavior of `clone`? Should we just manually edit files after cloning?

The situation could be caused by constants used in wp-config.php that define paths, databases, prefixes etc. Such constants won't be changed by the cloning process, because the algorithm cannot determine which of them are there intentionally and which of them are there in error or as redundant settings.

Is there anyway to salvage this? Unfortunately, I need this clone to work as-is so I'll have to make do with manually editing files or something.

I've clicked the `Update Site URL` a hundred times, updated the relevant wp-config.php and rows in *_options table but still no luck.

Any ideas please. Thank you.
Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 5.50.52 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-11-10 at 5.53.21 PM.png

Do you have any caching plugins on your site?
There can be a case when you have that one, and that stores cache of the both sites in the same place, for example in redis\memcache or something else, the last wins and overwrites all data.

When you clone your site, WP Toolkit regenerate some constants to avoid these cases and if that plugin ignores WP_CACHE_KEY_SALT constant that it can continue using old space to store values.

Thanks! It was indeed caused by a caching plugin. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware that I should be editing (duplicating for the original first) the wp-config.php file before doing any cloning.

Back