• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

yum vs plesk What is general rule to avoid conflicts ?

Mr Christian

New Pleskian
I want to avoid causing conflicts between what I need to do on server and "the way plesk does it", so what is the general rule to follow ?

For example,

1) I've just done a "yum list update" and see 23 updates available, but have just 2 hrs ago forced an update within the panel. ? (see pastebin below)

2) I have fail2ban running how does this (or could it) conflict with the firewall configuration within the panel if I play with that ?

3) If I install a particular (older) version of drupal (by hand) on a particular vhost, will plesk ignore it ?

4) If I install a particular version of drupal (with plesk), and then add a few modules, customise a theme, (but give it a new name and put it in the ./sites/all/themes dir), will plesk respect my changes ?

5) If I want to install whois, might I inadvertently drag in some network libraries that could affect Plesk. ?

Am in the proccess of comissioning a new server and want to get it right this time since have been fighting problems with old server due to lack of knowledge of what Plesk relies on. (so just didn't bother and consequently had problem with malware insertion on cust site, via an old filemanager.php which contained a vulnerability). Incidently also read that passwords are only at rel 11 been encrypted.

OS CentOS 6.3 (Final)
Panel version 11.0.9 Update #22, last updated at Oct 31, 2012 03:56 PM

Pastebin of yum output

Maybe this is written down somewhere Where do I go to find it?

Plesk is good at using the base centos packages and even most vendor supplied packages. In most cases you should have no problems using anything from yum so long as you dont have any weird repos. The Plesk updater just updates Plesk packages, where as yum will update the system ones - some of which plesk relies on.

Fail2ban can lock you out of your server if you ban your own IP.

Plesk shouldnt care about Drupal

Back