• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

12.5 Upgrade DB Error

vispa

New Pleskian
Hi,

I am trying to upgrade from 12.0.18 to 12.5.

The upgrade failed on an SQL query. Here is my installation log extract :

ERROR while trying to execute SQL query, the query was: ALTER TABLE `APSLicenseTypes` CHANGE `application_name` `application_name` VARCHAR(255) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_b$

Check the error reason(see log file: /var/log/plesk/install/plesk_12.5.30_installation.log), fix and try again
===> Restoring database from backup /var/lib/psa/dumps/mysql.preupgrade.12.0.18-12.5.30.20151024-122955.dump.gz
Trying to start psa...

Stopping psa... Stopping sw-engine-fpm: [FAILED]

done

**** Product prep-install for BASE failed.

***** problem report *****

ERROR while trying to execute SQL query, the query was: ALTER TABLE `APSLicenseTypes` CHANGE `application_name` `application_name` VARCHAR(255) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_b$

Check the error reason(see log file: /var/log/plesk/install/plesk_12.5.30_installation.log), fix and try again

STOP Bootstrapper 12.5.30 prep-install for BASE AT Sat Oct 24 12:31:27 BST 2015

Any help would be appreciated as this problem appears to happen on two servers.

Hi vispa,

there is an error with UTF collation. You could solve the issue with a manual correction, but please be sure, that a Odin-Team - Member confirms the suggestion.

Suggestion:

First of all, please backup your psa and apsc database:

mysqldump -uadmin -p`< /etc/psa/.psa.shadow ` --databases psa apsc | gzip > /root/manual.psa-apsc.dump.sql.gz
Second, please make a command list for each database:

Code:
SELECT concat( 'ALTER TABLE ', table_name, ' CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET `utf8` COLLATE `utf8_bin`;' )
FROM information_schema.tables
WHERE table_schema = 'psa'
AND TABLE_TYPE = 'BASE TABLE'
Code:
SELECT concat( 'ALTER TABLE ', table_name, ' CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET `utf8` COLLATE `utf8_bin`;' )
FROM information_schema.tables
WHERE table_schema = 'apsc'
AND TABLE_TYPE = 'BASE TABLE'
Both above SQL - queries will show a complete list of possible SQL - commands for "psa" and "apsc" for UTF collation, which you have to execute. It will look like this ( shortened! ):
Code:
ALTER TABLE APSApplicationItems CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET `utf8` COLLATE `utf8_bin`;
ALTER TABLE APSCatalogUpdates CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET `utf8` COLLATE `utf8_bin`;
ALTER TABLE APSClientApplicationItems CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET `utf8` COLLATE `utf8_bin`;
ALTER TABLE APSLicenseTypes CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET `utf8` COLLATE `utf8_bin`;
ALTER TABLE APSLicenses CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET `utf8` COLLATE `utf8_bin`;
After the execution of all listed SQL - commands, please return use the previous upgrade process and try to upgrade again.​

If you experience any issues with the above suggestion, please restore your "psa" and "apsc" - databases with the command:

zcat /root/manual.psa-apsc.dump.sql.gz | mysql -uadmin -p`< /etc/psa/.psa.shadow `

I have deleted my previous answer. I was wrong. The query "ALTER TABLE `APSLicenseTypes` CHANGE `application_name` `application_name` VARCHAR(255) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL" is valid. But it triggers a MySQL error #1071.

The given error when running this query is: ERROR #1071 - Specified key was too long; max key length is 1000 bytes.

The problem is described in this StackOverflow thread with a lengthy mysql bug discussion on the matter. The latin to utf8 conversion here is hitting this long standing issue. In my case, the query won't run unless I first convert such table(s) to InnoDB first from MyISAM (my legacy table type).

PS: The plesk team should probably look at converting tables type first or make sure to around this problem for users from perhaps much older versions using MyISAM tables.

There is no need to run any other queries, the tables only needs to be converted to innodb before the upgrade.
I had the same problem, run this at the commandline:

ALTER TABLE APSLicenseTypes ENGINE=InnoDB;

or better still, make psa database completly innodb: this is what i did

mysql -uadmin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` psa -e "show table status where Engine='MyISAM';" | awk 'NR>1 {print "ALTER TABLE "$1" ENGINE = InnoDB;"}' | mysql -uadmin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` psa

regards
Jan

Back