• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue [17.5.3] restoring a small domain from Plesk backup takes 2.5 hours

burnley

Regular Pleskian
Windows 2012 R2 with Plesk Version 17.5.3 Update #34, last updated on Dec 13, 2017 10:18 PM

Wonder how many Plesk admins out there are using the incremental backup/restore feature in 17.5, we've just attempted our first restore and the performance is just horrendous, took almost 2 and a half hours to restore few tens of MBs for a test site. We are using FTP storage with passive mode & FTPS enabled. For Scheduled Backup Settings we have:

Schedule
Run this backup task Daily at 2:30am
Use incremental backup checked
Perform full backup monthly
Keep backup files for 3 months

Backup settings
Back up: Mail configuration and content, User files and databases. FTP storage is checked
Create a multivolume backup, volume size (MB) 2047 checked
Exclude log files checked
If errors occur during the execution of this backup task, send a notification email to [email protected] checked
Use native MS SQL backup functionality (For remote databases, make sure you configured the backup settings of the remote MS SQL server in Tools & Settings > Database Servers) checked

What we're seeing in the Windows performance monitor window is the pmm-ras program crunching data continuously and a System process downloading from the ftp server and reading/writing to disk at a sustained rate. I reckon the Plesk restore program would have downloaded tens of GBs of data as part of the restore process.

What other information should I provide and where else I should start looking to investigate this? And what are the allowed extensions for a file upload? Tried to upload the ls -ltr output from the ftp backup location with both txt and txt.gz and I got: The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension.
In its current state plesk restore is simply unusable for us.

When you restore from an incremental backup all previous incremental backups (up to ~30 backups in your case) and a full backup are downloaded from an FTP server and extracted to the local storage. To minimize restoration time you can perform full backup weekly.

To continue investigation you can enable verbose logging in %plesk_dir%\admin\share\pmmcli\pmmcli-rc
Code:
FORCE_DEBUG_LOG 1
and look for slow operations in log files in %plesk_dir%\PMM\logs\restore-<restoration date>.

The allowed extension is .zip for Plesk for Windows and .tar for Plesk for Unix.

Back