• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

2 servers DNS ?

keymasterdk

Basic Pleskian
Hi :)

I also have a simular problem. I hope somone can help me..

I have 2 name servers registered. ns.webudbyder.dk and ns1.webudbyder.dk the first problem is what to do on the server 2, i mean what dns settings ? and can i use the same reg key i got from plesk here.... As i understand it i have to run the name servers on 2 diff. servers (IP's) so i also need 2 times plesk. but paying 2 times for it would be a little to mutch i think :)

I have added on server 1 :
ns.webudbyder.dk A 80.165.112.XXX
ns1.webudbyder.dk A 80.164.205.XXX

question 2 :Must the PTR be set to my Local IP like
192.168.1.2/24 PTR webudbyder.dk

Or can it be my publick IP : 80.165.112.XXX

Regards John

Thank you for your fast answer :)

But i cant understand why i dont need 2 installations of plesk.
On my server i run plesk only and that is one of the 2 servers. so how can it be that the seckend server can find out to communicate with my server ??? do you use a nother program to do the DNS ???

Regards John

John,

Plesk uses BIND as the DNS server:

You can download your free copy here and install it on your other machine you want to use as the secondary DNS server.
This version works with Windows.

http://www.isc.org/index.pl?/sw/bind/

2003-08-23: BIND 9.2.3 (src) (asc)
Windows NT / Windows 2000 Binary Kit - BIND 9.2.3 - PGP Signature

Make sure to click on the links I underlined above and not the ones next to it.... (Ex: (src) and (asc) are two additional links on the same line.)

If you are going to be using a Windows Server you can just use the Windows DNS that comes with it and create all zones as secondary zones, and specify your plesk dns server as your primary. It will download all the zone information from there. The windows version is much easier to configure!

Please note that if you are going to be using a Linux machine for your secondary DNS server it already comes with Bind. You just have to install it.

Hope this helps!
Ricardo...:cool:

Hi Ricardo :)

Nice that you are so kind helping me....
Your answer gives me hope that i one day will find out :)
So you wrote that : specify your plesk dns server as your primary
with that i think you mean that i under server/DNS in my plesk have to use thos settings :

80.165.112.xxx / 24 PTR webudbyder.dk.
<domain>. A <ip>
<domain>. MX (10) mail.<domain>.
<domain>. NS ns.<domain>.
ftp.<domain>. CNAME <domain>.
mail.<domain>. A <ip>
ns.<domain>. A <ip>
ns.webudbyder.dk.<domain>. A 80.165.112.xxx
ns1.webudbyder.dk.<domain>. A 80.164.205.xxx
webmail.<domain>. A <ip>

Can you confirm that this will do it and work

Thank you for your help

Regards John
PS. Send me your adr. and i will send you a goot butle of red wine :)))

Hi Again

Before i forget to aske you.

1) will the whole thing work when i one day have set it all right but the seckend server (name server) is down

2) Do i have to do anything on my server like install windows dns or is it enough just to have the Plesk running, just to be sure i make it all right :)

Regards John

Hi Again again

Please help me i have worked with this shitty server and pleask for a week now and cant get that working :(((

I have read thos :
http://forum.sw-soft.com/showthread...&threadid=14373
http://forum.sw-soft.com/showthread...&threadid=13528

And i have the same problem as him with the linux server
http://forum.sw-soft.com/showthread...&threadid=13528
But it does not help me to do what is written in that message :(

It must be a DNS problem. but when i in my browser write ns.webudbyder.dk or ns1.webudbyder.dk i get contact to the server (Plesk) so it must be som internal error :(

Please help

Regards John

John,

Sorry it took me so long to answer!

This is how I would setup the DNS template on the Server:

ftp.<domain>. CNAME <domain>.
<domain>. A <ip>
<domain>. MX(10) mail.webudbyder.dk.
<domain>. NS ns1.webudbyder.dk.
<domain>. NS ns2.webudbyder.dk.

This is how I would setup the DNS on yourdomain.com besides other entries you might have:

80.165.112.xxx / 24 PTR webudbyder.dk.
mail.webudbyder.dk. A 80.165.112.xxx
webmail.webudbyder.dk. A 80.165.112.xxx
ns1.webudbyder.dk A 80.165.112.xxx
ns2.webudbyder.dk A 80.164.205.xxx

First notice I changed "ns" to "ns1" to make it standard.
Notice I changed the MX record to point to YOUR mail server instead of having each domain point to it's own. The reason for this is that if you later decide you want to use some other mail server besides the one that comes with Plesk (Horde) you can install it on another physical server and just change the IP in one place (your domain).

Same goes for your DNS server entries. If you just point them to your DNS servers the only place where you ever need to change IP's is at your domain.

Just tell your users to use ns1.webudbyder.dk and ns2.webudbyder.dk as the primary and secondary DNS servers.
And use mail.webudbyder.dk as the mail server and webmail.webudbyder.dk as the webmail for everyone.

Please note that once you change the name servers at the registrar it takes up to 72 hours for this information to propagate.

When I say that you need to specify the Plesk DNS server as your primary that means several things.

First on your registrar you should list the servers in order of preference. ns1.webudbyder.dk and ns2.webudbyder.dk. When you request to contact your domain it will search the ns1.webudbyder.dk first and if that server is down it will then search ns2.webudbyder.dk to resolve the IP address of the domain. So ns1.webudbyder.dk should be the first one listed and that should be your primary DNS server.

As far as if you use Windows DNS or BIND as your secondary Name Server (The other machine where you don't have Plesk) that's where you create all your zones as secondary zones and specify ns1.webudbyder.dk as the primary name server.

As far as installing Windows DNS on your Plesk server. DON'T!... Plesk uses it's own DNS server (BIND). So you already have one running on the server where Plesk is installed.

I get an error when I click on the two threads you submitted above so I am not sure what the error is!

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your answer. i think im near to understand all this..
I have made the changes so that i now have the 2 ns servers called NS1 and NS2

But you answer gives me 2 questions..

1) you wrote : ns2.webudbyder.dk AA 80.164.205.xxx but there is no AA record in Plesk only A

2) When does Plesk send the info to name server 2, one time a houre or on new domaine creation ? or is it the ns2 that askes for the data from ns1.

Have a nice day :)

Regards John

John,

The answer to your questions:

1) The "AA" was a typo and I fixed it! Good catch!

2) The data on the secondary DNS server is updated from the Master server (Plesk BIND) every time a zone data changes in the Master server.

Please remember that you would have to manualy enter the Zones on the secondary DNS server as Slave Zones every time you create a new zone (domain) in Plesk.
**Note: I read somewhere in this forum that someone was able to setup the slaves so that if any new zones are added to the master they will automaticaly be created on the secondary DNS server. Not sure how that was done!... But you might want to look into it!

Ex: you created a newdomain.com on your Plesk server, that will create the DNS entries on the domain newdomain.com using the Server Templates. (Server section in Plesk / DNS icon)

A master zone will be created by Plesk (BIND) called "newdomain.com". A file called named.conf has all the zones and type of transfers allowed etc... For every slave zone you create it will also create a file with the same name that has all the records for that zone. This will be created automaticaly when the zone data is transfered from the master. If it is a master zone you would have to do this manually.

If you use Linux to host your secondary DNS server it has a pretty nice interface you can use to configure your DNS and is much simpler.

If you use a Windows Server DNS as your secondary DNS (on a separate server, not the one you have Plesk) it is pretty simple to do.

I would recomend you check out the BIND manual so that you can better understand how it all works. Here is the link:

http://www.nominum.com/content/documents/bind9arm.pdf

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your answer... I also got an answe from the plesk support about the autoupdating to the ns2. please read and give me your meaning about that, could be that you have some use for it :)

1) You should log into myusql console and insert these lines to database directly.

to log into mysql console please use command like that:

c:\programm files\swsoft\plesk\mysql\bin\mysql -uadmin -pYOUR_ADMIN_PASSWD psa
mysql>insert into misc (param,val) values ('DNS_Allow_Transfer1',
mysql>'1.1.1.1/24');

Please reread this page to understand hoe to do it correctly.

http://download1.sw-soft.com/Plesk/Plesk6.5/Doc/plesk-6.5-advanced-features/ch05.html

Regards John

Back