• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue domain not resolving (1st domain created using plesk)

shannong

New Pleskian
Hi all, beginner here,

Background
I have used AWS Lightsail to create a "Plesk_Hosting_Stack_on_Ubuntu-1".

So far so good. However when trying to use(learn) plesk and create my first domain. Im hitting issues, and observing the following;

So how did I end up here? I following the instructions ( i think)

I have the domain name for 1st domain registered at namecheap - so I following the instructions and;

1. Registered as Nameservers;
ns1.beyondmedicine.club.
ns2.beyondmedicine.club.
  1. Changed 'PERSONAL DNS SERVER" (glue records?) to
    1. ns1.beyondmedicine.club - 13.250.96.5
    2. ns2.beyondmedicine.club - 13.250.96.5

However i now have arrived at the problems as mentioned above, it is not resolving.

Would appreciate any advice in order to continue my journey to self hosting success!

Hi @shannong, welcome to the forum.

I purchases a domain name ... and pointed it at the static IP
At the moment, the domain cannot be resolved. What do you mean by "pointed it"? Did you create an A record in your nameserver that routes the domain to the IP address of you server? Did you enter that nameserver as the authoritative nameserer into your domain record at your registrar?

I have the domain name for 1st domain registered at namecheap - so I following the instructions and;

1. Registered as Nameservers;
ns1.beyondmedicine.club.
ns2.beyondmedicine.club.
Where and how did you "register" the nameservers? The domain name used for your nameservers cannot be reached either. Just in case that domain is on the same server that you want to use as a nameserver, please add GLUE records. Can these two articles help?

1. Changed 'PERSONAL DNS SERVER" (glue records?) to
    1. ... 13.250.96.5
Different IP address? Are you sure that is the correct IP address?

Hi @shannong, welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the warm welcome!

And thanks for the helpful response, Ill do my best to answer the questions and provide more info. Ill use images as well. I actually deleted the domain and reinstalled to find the same instructions again.

After installing there was an error ...

Screen Shot 2023-08-06 at 6.38.48 PM.png

Clicking on DNS Settings took me to ...

Websites & Domains
DNS Settings for beyondmedicine.club

At which point another error was displayed as per below.

Screen Shot 2023-08-06 at 6.37.33 PM.png

Clicking on "update DNS settings on the side of your domain registrar or external DNS provider."

Clicking on that blue link opens up a side left panel that is as below. i felt O needed to follow these instructions and dis so. Ill now jump to your next question

Screen Shot 2023-08-06 at 6.40.52 PM.png

At the moment, the domain cannot be resolved. What do you mean by "pointed it"? Did you create an A record in your nameserver that routes the domain to the IP address of you server? Did you enter that nameserver as the authoritative nameserer into your domain record at your registrar?

So I follow instructions above for Namecheap.

1. Log in to the DNS service portal of your domain registrar.
  2. Add the following glue records for the name servers:
    ns1.beyondmedicine.club. 13.250.96.5
    ns2.beyondmedicine.club. 13.250.96.5
Which resulted in;

Screen Shot 2023-08-06 at 6.45.53 PM.png

and also;

Screen Shot 2023-08-06 at 6.46.32 PM.png
And thats how i got to the point Im at - with it still not resolvable.

Where and how did you "register" the nameservers? The domain name used for your nameservers cannot be reached either. Just in case that domain is on the same server that you want to use as a nameserver, please add GLUE records. Can these two articles help?
In regards to those help articles, I followed them and tried to add 'glue records to plesk' - this was the result, when following https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/12377559516183-Does-Plesk-support-glue-records-
and https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/12377853088791

Screen Shot 2023-08-06 at 6.52.40 PM.png

and then the result of that was;

Screen Shot 2023-08-06 at 6.52.56 PM.png

Different IP address? Are you sure that is the correct IP address?

In regards to this, i have the most basic of understanding gained from years of managing websites. However I kinda expected (guessed??) that the IP i was to give to the domain register would have been the static IP attached to the AWS - 54.151.xx.73.

I would like to point out that the dropdown once createing a domain in plelsk, only has one optin, no ability to type in a IP.

Screen Shot 2023-08-06 at 6.33.04 PM.png

Hope I mostly made sense, happy to clarify anything i need to.

Regards

Hi!

I have tried to get any answer from the DNS for that domain but receive nothing. Firewall? I would recommend to check firewall settings which is provided by Lightsail. For correct DNS working, 53/udp (and tcp) port is required.

Thanks AYamshanov,

I do believe it was already open, upon creating the instance. I have added an screenshot for you to confirm.

Screen Shot 2023-08-08 at 10.21.43 AM.png

Hi all,

I can't help but think Im missing something basic, but unfortunately as a newbie unsure what that is.

I do wonder aloud about the following. Upon creating a Plesk instance in Lightsail - I was given a static IP 54.151.xxx.73. I have attached this as a static IP, within Lightsail.

However upon starting/entering plesk and creating my first domain. If i go to the "Websites & Domains" section in my Plesk Domain, I notice that the IPv4 address is 13.250.96.5 and its a drop down (so cannot change).

Screen Shot 2023-08-06 at 6.33.04 PM.png

Im not really sure where Pleask got this IP from.....Furthermore instructions from Plesk tell me to use "13.250.96.5" in my domain register.

TBH I was kinda expecting that the IP i would be pointing any created domains to - would be the static IP provide by Lightsail/AWS. -> 54.151.xxx.73

Any thoughts ?

Without seeing how everything is configured within your AWS and Plesk instance it's really hard to say, but I would check to make sure your server (the lightsail instance) itself doesn't have any ports blocked either and check what IPs are currently in use.

Another thing to check is your IP addresses and assignments by going to Tools & Settings > Tools & Resources > IP Addresses and see what IP addresses are there, hit "reread IP" if need to.

Also, I would also recommend, while in this screen, to change the IP address distribution from dedicated to shared (just click on the IP address and change it over to "Shared").

As stated in my first post, the domain name cannot be resolved.

It uses these nameservers:
ns-1467.awsdns-55.org
ns-167.awsdns-20.com
ns-2044.awsdns-63.co.uk
ns-963.awsdns-56.net

But none of these nameservers know the domain. You can test it by querying the nameservers, e.g.
nslookup hostingasia.click ns-1467.awsdns-55.org
returns "No answer".

Either the nameserver entries in the domain dataset need to be changed to nameservers that are authoritative, meaning that they respond to queries for that domain name with a route, or a nameserver dataset for the domain is missing from the Amazon AWS nameservers and needs to be added to them.

As stated in my first post, the domain name cannot be resolved.

It uses these nameservers:
ns-1467.awsdns-55.org
ns-167.awsdns-20.com
ns-2044.awsdns-63.co.uk
ns-963.awsdns-56.net

But none of these nameservers know the domain. You can test it by querying the nameservers, e.g.
nslookup hostingasia.click ns-1467.awsdns-55.org
returns "No answer".

Either the nameserver entries in the domain dataset need to be changed to nameservers that are authoritative, meaning that they respond to queries for that domain name with a route, or a nameserver dataset for the domain is missing from the Amazon AWS nameservers and needs to be added to them.
Hi Peter, I appreciate your perseverance in helping me,

All i can do is tell you documentation i have been following.

Which is;

Obviously I have done something wrong, but Im unsure at what part or process. Ill also below try an document my processes, see if we can determine what I did wrong, where...

THE FOLLOWING IS FOR SETTING UP MY INITAL DOMAIN (hostingasia.click) THAT WILL POINT TO 'PLESK' installation - This did work.

The nameservers came from Lightsail;

Screen Shot 2023-08-11 at 12.24.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-08-11 at 12.27.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-08-11 at 12.27.50 PM.png
Which is entered into Namecheap for the website : hostingasia.click (which will be my 'hosting website'.)

Screen Shot 2023-08-11 at 12.31.52 PM.png

THIS ALL WORKED WELL UP UNTO THIS POINT. I EVEN ADDED SSL

ISSUES BEGAN WHEN I TRIED TO ADD A DOMAIN..
The domain being "www.beyondmedicine.club"

I then proceeded to create a domain from within plesk.

After installing there was an error ...

Screen Shot 2023-08-06 at 6.38.48 PM.png

Clicking on DNS Settings took me to ...

Websites & Domains
DNS Settings for beyondmedicine.club

At which point another error was displayed as per below.

Screen Shot 2023-08-06 at 6.37.33 PM.png

Clicked on "update DNS settings on the side of your domain registrar or external DNS provider." Clicking on that blue link opens up a side left panel that is as below. i felt I needed to follow these instructions and did so.

Screen Shot 2023-08-06 at 6.40.52 PM.png

So I added the glue records into Namecheap as per Plesk instructions, and evidenced below.

Screen Shot 2023-08-11 at 12.46.54 PM.png

Ill now jump to your next question

"Different IP address? Are you sure that is the correct IP address?"

To that all I can say its that the IP that Plesk instructed me to use...

( I was kinda surprised as I thought in might have suggested the Static IP from LIghtsail.)

Screen Shot 2023-08-11 at 12.52.43 PM.png

So, thats my processes so far, I really do hope that sheds some light on things and where i might have got it wrong. Appreciate any help given. Do please ask me further questions if needs more required information.

Maybe the issue results from a duplicate configuration where you try to use your Plesk server as the authoritative nameserver, but in your domains you put the Amazon nameservers as authoritative nameservers? Solution: Make sure that the domains have the nameservers that you want to use for resolving your domain names. If you want to use your Plesk server as the authoritative DNS, then you need to enter it into your domain dataset (this is where you book the domain, not on your Plesk server). Currently, AWS nameservers are set in your domain dataset, and these do not have DNS entries for your domain so that your domain cannot be resolved.

This is actually all not a Plesk issue, but a configuration issue with your domains.

Back