• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

29 seconds, the world is ending.

V

vision

New to plesk, running it on Fedora 2.

I spent 25 hours over the weekend setting things up, learning testing, learning, testing.

Things are going OK for the most part.

I've noticed something very strange with FTP & SMTP connections to the server.

When connecting to send a message (telnet server 25) from windows command prompt it connects, then sits there for exactly 29 seconds before sending the normal message:

220 server ESMTP

The same happens with FTP, I connect and login - password validated.

Then I must sit there for 29 seconds, while it does something.

Anyone know what it is?

I read several posts here about the reverse name lookups being enabled in FTP but that is not the case here, as mine were off.

The SMTP delay can be resolved by editing your /etc/xinetd.d/smtp_psa file and adding -Rt0 as shown below:

<snip>service smtp
{
socket_type = stream
protocol = tcp
wait = no
disable = no
user = root
instances = UNLIMITED
server = /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env
server_args = -Rt0 /var/qmail/bin/relaylock </snip>

The delay with ftp has been posted about many times, but I do not think anyone has found a single cause for it. If I remember correctly, most have solved it by changing their proFTPd config to run as 'standalone' instead of under inetd or xinetd.

Thanks!

I don't know what -Rt0 does, but it does correct the 30 second delay when connecting to the SMTP erver.

There seems to be a handful of problems that come up over and over, for anyone using Plesk. (ftp slow, smtp slow, file permissions etc). Is there an FAQ with the top problems anywhere?

Basically what it does is turn off Reverse lookups and sets the timeout to zero.

I wish there were, then I wouldn't have to keep repeating answers every week... But hey, I've got nothing better to do, right?? Haahahha

Best thing to do is browse through at least 2 to 4 weeks of post topics to get a feel for what the latest problems are.

Back