• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

8.1 vs 8.01

C

cue79

So after reading some of the horror stories here, I've decided to hold off on taking the upgrade plunge from 8.0.l to 8.1 until I have a nice in place backup ready to go in case of failure. My bigger question is - what does the upgrade really do? Is it a worthwhile upgrade? Looking on SwSoft's page, the actually 8.01 to 8.1 isn't really highlighted, so I'm curious as to what the main differences between the two are. Thanks.

[+] AWstats support
[+] MySQL 5.0 support
[+] FreeBSD packages distribution
[+] FreeBSD packages support for Autoinstaller
[+] Backup to FTP
[+] Updating Plesk inside Virtuozzo VPS using EZ templates
[*] Improved hostname validation
[*] Language Packs distributed as RPM/deb packages
[-] DNS recursion bugfix
[+] VE Custom Reinstall Support
[+] Ruby support
[+] Backup of server settings
[-] Security bug in phpPgAdmin is fixed
[-] Security bug in ProFTPD is fixed
[*] Bugfixes
[*] Improvements

I like the new features, most of it all the MySQL 5 support (version 5 is a bit faster than 4.1). The upgrade went fine, I only needed to restart Plesk manually afterwards.

But there are some problems like it was said on this forum, but it's no "horror story" :D
There are the Virtuozzo adds (I can't edit my license key for Plesk for this, only my host can do this), MAPS spam filtering isn't working any more and the AWStats images aren't displaying. But there are workarounds avaiable on the forums, so I don't care.

ok BS

i upgraded from 8.0 to 8.1 running on FC4

now current customers that had FP still works but if you go to readd them for someone it doesnt work. if it has been dropped then why is it still an option in the domain setup

now when i do a rpm -q frontpage i get frontpage-5.0-72psa.fc4

there is no reason this should not still be supported. it is rediculous and i am not very happy about this move.

now the question is "where do i get the extensions so that i can install them myself"

now current customers that had FP still works but if you go to readd them for someone it doesnt work. if it has been dropped then why is it still an option in the domain setup

What happens exactly?

I have been testing to upgrade on a vmware virtual machine (I allways do it as I don't trust swsoft updates no more... there are allways bugs and I must train on vmware how to fix them...) with REHL4, after updating to 8.1 I have the frontpage rpm still installed and extensions seems to work (apparently fine), even if I disable and re-enable them.

I even tried uninstalling that rpm, it removes the fp options from panel, and then reinstalled it manually and options came back...

It seems to work, but who knows if it will stop working on a future plesk update? Not that I like frontpage extensions, but my customers use it and logically I cannot say them: hey, no more frontpage extensions... :rolleyes:

I haven't updated plesk on my production server yet because I really don't know what to do... 8.1 update seems a complete disaster, the problems I have found until now in my few tests in VMWare are:

- no support for frontpage extensions (despite it seems to work with 8.0.1 frontpage rpm package, but I don't feel confortable due to future updates, etc...)

- virtuozzo spam (the options added on hotfix to remove it doesn't remove top right ad... not a big problem, probably I can edit templates and remove it...)

- awstats broken icons (latest hotfix does NOT fix it as they mention on changelog, at least not in RHEL4... not a big problem as I know how to fix it...)

Despite we can fix latest two problems... damn... we pay SWSoft to provide us such quality software? what's the deal? :rolleyes:

READ MY LIPS SWSOFT

our clients neeeeeeeeds an archive manager ? Common work for itdo something creative insteed of adding banners with ads !!

Back