• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

8.x Upgrade To 10.x

• Thread starter Skip Dreibelbis
  • Start date
S

Skip Dreibelbis

We're looking to move from a FC3 with Plesk 8.x installation to CentOS 5.x and Plesk 10.x installation. I've looked over the installation/upgrade documentation but it doesn't really cover this scenario. We're looking to utilize the same hardware, so we can't use the migration tool as it's a server to server tool and 10.x won't work on FC3 so we can't do an in place upgrade.

Can I simply do a backup/restore of the databases and /home/httpd/vhosts directories and then run the installation tool? Can we use the integrated backup utility within Plesk to export each domain in 8.x and then restore them to 10.x?

Scenario can be following:

- create full server backup with pleskbackup utility;
- install CentOS and Plesk 10;
- convert backup from 8.x format to 10.x format;
- restore backup;

Please help on the converting step

>- convert backup from 8.x format to 10.x format;

Can you please provide some informations and detailed steps on how to convert from 8.x to 10.x because all informations that I have found are fail.

Thank you in advanced.

@IgorG

- create full server backup with pleskbackup utility;

Are you meaning the backup utilities within the panel or perhaps a CLI utility? We're on 8.2 currently. Besides a backup utility per domain I don't see a server wide backup function.

@CharalamposM

I concur. We need more information on this conversion. Where are the documents or knowledgebase articles describing this?

Steps for convert

After so many tries and tests I make it work as:

Goal to convert from backup 8.x to 10.x
Hidden Problems: the pre9-backup-convert and pre10-backup-convert use different style of input.
Steps: Convert from 8.x to 9.x, then convert 9.x to 10.x

Step 1.
Convert from 8.x to 9.x
The backup files of 8.x are one file ending on:*.psa

you run

pre9-backup-convert.exe --source=oldFormatBackup.psa --destination=d:\newBackupDir

Step 2.
Convert from 9.x to 10.x
Now the backup are on many files on many directories, one directory per client.

For every client you run

pre10-backup-convert.exe --convert -source d:\newBackupDir\Client1\FileCreated.xml -destination d:\FinalBackup\

Note here that after the source we do not use the '=' any more.

Hope this helps.

Well this is what I try first but have errors on the command line ! At least on windows because this is tagged as linux.

In the line

~# $PRODUCT_ROOT_D/bin/pre10-backup-convert convert --directory=$DUMP_D/domains/<domain_name> <old backup file>.xml

the option --directory=$DUMP_D/domains/<domain_name> is not working you need to type it as I have on my answer, also the convet need in front '--' and so on.

With errors on the example how can this make it work ? In fact I can believe that you have post so wrong commands with out test them first, and I say that the windows version is missing !

Also a note for the users that do that moving, must have a lot of patient because the migration takes hours, and there is no message that something is working on background.

Last edited:
@IgorG

Thanks for the link to the articles. I've looked them over but I see no reference as to where to get the utility. I browsed through the utility download section and all I see are migration managers for Windows installations. Are the utilities for Linux/Unix included in the 9.x and 10.x installation packages respectively?

@CharalamposM

Thanks for that information.

@All

I have two more questions:

Does performing a backup in 8.2 include the backup of any databases associated with the domain, or should I expect to perform a backup of mysql myself?

Does performing a backup in 8.2 include the database and information required to restore the Plesk panel itself or just the clients/sites?

To answer my own question - an 8.x backup does include client databases.

I've run into what may be an issue restoring data. I ran both the 9.x and 10.x backup conversion utilites on some clients and their domains. When I do a pleskrestore against the converted files they complete sucessfully but nothing is visible in the panel.

The only thing I can think of that may be affecting the restore is the license. Does the panel need to be licensed before restoring the data?

After the upgrade to 10x, go to the web page with the panel, on the system, on the migration, and select migration from local disk, then select the xml file that have been created from the backup conversion and select migrate.

The command migrate will be finish soon, but the sites will take up to an hour or maybe more to really appear on the panel because the migrate procedure is takes long time. So after you press the migrate and answer to the rest questions just wait and keep your computer running, the one after the other the sites will be start appear.

Back