• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Additional IPv4 network/interface problem

Dukemaster

Regular Pleskian
Hi at all,
to try once more for the last time a own DNS configuration I got two (30 days test in my 1and1 contract) IPv4 addresses for Ubuntu 16.04 with Plesk Onyx 17.5.3#11 on 1and1 server.
Although I know there is a tutorial by 1and1 making necessary changes by adding additional IPv4 (shared) I also tried the recommened way by PLESK to do this. I did both ways.

The last way is the Plesk way adding IPv4 only over Plesk panel. I did it since for years in the same way:
after adding IPv4 only over Plesk Panel and rereading IP-addresses /etc/network/interfaces has the following content:
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
iface eth0:1 inet static
<--->address 217.160.167.167
<--->netmask 255.255.255.255
auto eth0:1
iface eth0:2 inet static
<--->address 217.160.130.142
<--->netmask 255.255.255.255
auto eth0:2
I don't know why the script makes this unnecessary spaces (<---> I filled this in, because here in forum the spaces are removed by software) in front of address and netmask, and on the other side no spaces between eth0 and eth0:1 and eth0:2, but this should be the last and most unimportant question of all.

Then in Putty I get "failed" by
# /etc/init.d/networking restart
Here the more detailed result:

root@server:~# systemctl status networking.service
● networking.service - Raise network interfaces
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/networking.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Drop-In: /run/systemd/generator/networking.service.d
└─50-insserv.conf-$network.conf
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2017-07-02 18:26:26 CEST; 1min 58s ago
Docs: man:interfaces(5)
Process: 7099 ExecStop=/sbin/ifdown -a --read-environment --exclude=lo (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Process: 8913 ExecStart=/sbin/ifup -a --read-environment (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Process: 8905 ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c [ "$CONFIGURE_INTERFACES" != "no" ] && [ -n "$(ifquery --read-environment --list --exclude=lo)" ] && udevadm settle (code=exited
Main PID: 8913 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jul 02 18:26:26 server.arox.eu systemd[1]: Starting Raise network interfaces...
Jul 02 18:26:26 server.arox.eu ifup[8913]: RTNETLINK answers: File exists
Jul 02 18:26:26 server.arox.eu ifup[8913]: Failed to bring up eth0:1.
Jul 02 18:26:26 server.arox.eu ifup[8913]: RTNETLINK answers: File exists
Jul 02 18:26:26 server.arox.eu ifup[8913]: Failed to bring up eth0:2.
Jul 02 18:26:26 server.arox.eu systemd[1]: networking.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jul 02 18:26:26 server.arox.eu systemd[1]: Failed to start Raise network interfaces.
Jul 02 18:26:26 server.arox.eu systemd[1]: networking.service: Unit entered failed state.
Jul 02 18:26:26 server.arox.eu systemd[1]: networking.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

Could You please help to get the correct configuration? From this point I didn't and won't go any further by making configurations with DNS and also not using the two IPs for webhosting.
I guess like in the years before that the IPv4 will work by Plesk in webhosting settings. For me is important that the sysctr test fails every time which lead sme to the opinion that there must be a big mistake. I also wonder why it's not possible adding additional IPv6 without getting nginx problems after each reboot. Where do I have a broken config or have problems by not making necessary changes? Sorry for my nerving questions.

Before, I tried the 1and1 way by the IPv4 adding and changing tutorial (replacing dhcp by static configuration), adding the IPv4 over Plesk, and then the following interfaces configuration:
and the following content of /etc/network/interfaces
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 217.160.92.49
netmask 255.255.255.255
gateway 10.255.255.1
pointopoint 10.255.255.1

iface eth0:1 inet static
auto eth0:1
address 217.160.167.167
netmask 255.255.255.255

iface eth0:2 inet static
auto eth0:2
address 217.160.130.142
netmask 255.255.255.255

Lots of greets

Last edited:
HI @UFHH01,
thanks a lot for your never ending friendly help for this amazing software, well-known under PLESK.

The story successfully ended by a simple "WARM REBOOT"
over shell. ...like so often...
After doing nasty, lamer-ing, not-knowing-what-I-do tests, for example setting "gateway" and "pointopoint" also to the eth0 aliases, and switching back to the 1and1 default-configuration over DHCP,
I tried again the solution recommended by 1and1 and which do You also favour (last quote box)
But this time I decided to reboot server afterwards. The following network restart succeeded in a green ok.

SAYING THANKS PLESK
Since half an year I could shout 'n' scream every day "How crazy magnificent, stable like a rock and full of amazing features PLESK [ONYX] has become through stormy years until present - until today.
Developed and improved every day a little more by a incredible, competent team and this great friendly community without senseless fights "who is the best and most experienced man or woman".
This leads to a never ending story of success. (Hope not in rising prices by the greed of (too much) people in the entire world.)

@ all known & unknown developers @ all helping hands in the background @ all financial supporters @ support team @ community @ all people @ customers @ affiliates (ups, since years I had the wish to become an affliate)
@ everyone I forgot to mention here or I don't know is existing

Last edited:
Oh, ups, I would have never expected that so many members will read my last post. All of this were only my thoughts and experiences since a long time but rising to skies which I today can't believe. In early years Plesk wasn't bad, but better to use it close to default configuration with less as possible addons.
Now you can do nearly everything. When you make mistakes there a so many ways to repair it, or set it back to earlier stable configurations.
It's uncountable how many things are on highest level, especially for customers who are not professional server admins or have studied something around IT, like me.
Thanks for the kind words and likes. :)

especially for customers who are not professional server admins or have studied something around IT, like me.
As one of the oldest members of our community, I am especially pleased to hear your warm words. They mean that our community exists not in vain :) Thank you.

Back