• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Admin on phpMyAdmin does not have Super privileges

finnjakelumpy

New Pleskian
I have Plesk via GoDaddy and I am the sole admin and user. When I go to phpMyAdmin and try to execute the following:

SET GLOBAL event_scheduler = 'ON'

I get the error "#1227 - Access denied; you need (at least one of) the SUPER privilege(s) for this operation"

Considering I don't have the tab for security how can I change the sql database privileges to allow this? It would be easy to do if it was local hosted but I can't find anything on how to do this with my specific setup.

SUPER privilege can be granted to the database user directly via MySQL:

mysql> GRANT SUPER ON *.* TO 'user_name'@'localhost';
mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

However, Plesk does not officially support SUPER privileges for the subscription database users, since it is a risky solution in a shared hosting environment.

EDIT: I just noticed that this is a Windows server we're talking about. My answer assumes a Linux server so I apologize for the mix up.

@finnjakelumpy, I'm not sure from your first post if you have root access to a VPS or a dedicated server, or not but if you do, you could permanently add
Code:
event_scheduler = 'on'

under the
Code:
[mysqld]

section in your /etc/my.cnf (or /etc/mysql/my.cnf, depending on your OS) and restart the mySQL service.

Also, for those mysql commands that are meant to be run while logged into mysql as an administrator, execute as root in SSH:
Code:
MYSQL_PWD=`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` mysql -uadmin

and you'll get command line mysql client access.

Alternatively, you can get phpMyAdmin admin access in Plesk by going to Sever Management -> Tools & Settings -> Applications & Databases -> Database Servers and by clicking on the icon with the screwdriver and wrench in the MySQL Server line (icon all the way on the right).

Note: just make sure not to manually execute commands or perform tasks that would otherwise be accomplished through Plesk, as that would make your Plesk out of sync with the actual state of the MySQL server.

Last edited:
Those commands don't work in my environment.
Are you sure? Can you login to psa database first and then change it to mysql database with:

C:\> plesk db
mysql> use mysql;

And then commands from my post above:

mysql> GRANT SUPER ON *.* TO 'user_name'@'localhost';
mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

What exactly doesn't work here?

Back