• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

advice on fedora/centos upgrade

amit290

Basic Pleskian
Hi,

I wanted to upgrade from Fedora Core 4 to a newer release supported by Plesk 8.3 . I was hoping to go to Core 8 in April when Plesk 8.4 is released (from what I've read). My VDS provider suggested going to CentOS instead , 5 I presume.

Can someone tell me if CentOS would be a better choice? or stick with Fedora? Also will there be any problems migrating over using Plesk because I'm going from Fedora to CentOS? and when using the migration tool, does it save e-mails as well? I have a few accounts that are being accessed with IMAP and dont want people loosing their emails.

Anything else I need to be aware of??

Thank you,

I'd say CentOS is the better choice because it has a much longer lifecycle (7 years of updates for each release, while Fedora releases get ~1 year). If you don't mind upgrading your server every year and want the bleeding edge software versions you better go with Fedora, but for a stable production server we always use RHEL/CentOS. The Plesk Migration Manager also migrates e-mail, yes.

Thanks breum !

I've gone ahead with it, and will do the migration in the early hours of tonight. This might sound silly but if I migrate to the new server now to test it goes smoothly, is it possible to re-migrate after when I want to do the switch over for real?

Will the old server still work as normal after a test migration?
and finally will the server be offline while its migrating?

Thanks in advance

You can remove all the clients and domains from the new server and migrate again. The old server will keep working as it did and won't go offline while the migration is running.

Approx. how long should it take to migrate? I've started the process, its connected to the server and its been in progress for over 4 hours.
(Retrieving information on the host ********* is in progress)

I have 10 clients, 10 domains, 8GB hard disk space used in total.

Back