• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question agent360[140]: ping: socket: Operation not permitted

Dork

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
CentOS Linux 7.9.2009
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.50 Update #2
What does tht mean?
agent360[140]: ping: socket: Operation not permitted

Means that the agent's not able to ping, could be a permission issue. Try issuing the following command:

Bash:
chmod u+s $( which ping );

Means that the agent's not able to ping, could be a permission issue. Try issuing the following command:

Bash:
chmod u+s $( which ping );
Yes - that works
but does that mean hat everybody is able to open a socket?

Let me quote what one site says what this command does:

The SetUID bit enforces user ownership on an executable file. When it is set, the file will execute with the file owner's user ID, not the person running it.
In other words, it basically enforces whatever executable file set with that special SetUID to run as the owner's ID instead of the user, which is basically what you want ping to do.

And if you're worry about someone creating new socket types, I wouldn't worry about it with ping since all pinging does is, you know, ping if something is alive at the other end. Technically speaking, the ping's permissions should be set that way since ping doesn't do anything other then, you know, ping.

Let me quote what one site says what this command does:

In other words, it basically enforces whatever executable file set with that special SetUID to run as the owner's ID instead of the user, which is basically what you want ping to do.

And if you're worry about someone creating new socket types, I wouldn't worry about it with ping since all pinging does is, you know, ping if something is alive at the other end. Technically speaking, the ping's permissions should be set that way since ping doesn't do anything other then, you know, ping.
Thanks for the explaination.
It looks like I am the only one who has the ping entry in the messages file.

Back