• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Also allow non-SSL SMTP Connections

zwankie

Basic Pleskian
Hi there,

I hope someone can give me some guidance or solutions here.

Every few months we have clients (mostly iPhone users) have problems with their email accounts connections when their domain Let's Encrypt SSL Certificates update.
Specifically when the use SSL for POP/IMAP or SMTP.

The Plesk server running Dovecote and Postfix allows Non-SSL POP/IMAP connections but not Non-SSL SMTP.
It only allows SSL/TLS smtp connections on port 587.

How can this be changed/configured so we can solve this problem for the users permanently?
Either fixing iPhones/Mac or Plesk to resolve this.

A telnet to port 25 produces 500 5.5.2 Error: bad syntax

I tried these two but no luck with a solid solution yet:

This is likely not a Plesk issue as Plesk does support non-ssl connections on port 25. It is a must for the SMTP server anyway, because other mail servers on the internet may not be capable of ssl connections, so in inter-server-communication having the ability to communicate with other mail servers non-encrypted is essential.

For the iPhone issue we have a KB article: https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/12377286818071

For the port-25 issue I am not sure what causes that, but my guess is that smtp_enforce_tls is set in the postfix configuration (see Postfix Configuration Parameters for details).

Thanks for the prompt reply Peter.

I added the smtp_enforce_tls = no to postfix and will test that now.

The iPhone workaround is an option but an absolute headache for users who need to regularly need to do this.
I wish there was a better way.

Back