• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Alternate port SMTP

K

Kiwilink

Hi there,

When we were on plesk 8.6 we had port 2025 open for SMTP (as some ISP's block port 25). We did the upgrade to 9 through the plesk updater and everything else runs fine, but port 2025 has stopped accepting mail. I don't recall the process we used to do this originally.

Our /etc/services file still has the line: smtp2 2025/tcp mail # alt smtp port

Can anyone throw me a bone here? We have quite a few customers using 2025 and me pulling my hair out.

P.S: I have full access to the server, we own it, it runs Plesk 9 and Debian 4.

Thanks.

i am not sure, on my box this is done on /etc/xinetd.d/

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 514 Jan 8 23:55 smtp_psa
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 515 Jan 8 23:55 smtps_psa
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 406 Jan 8 23:55 submission_psa

therefore you need a second one like smtp2_psa with the defined service and of course on the FW the port have to be opend. Another option would be also to use the standart submission port which is running on 587 as formalized in RFC 4409, for relaying outbound mail to a mail server and you can switch it on/off in the Plesk CP.

Brujo

Thanks, That was the right direction.

In summarary, in case anyone finds this thread in the future to need to do this, here is the full instructions in one easy go:

In /etc/xinetd.d/ There is a file called smtp_psa, you will need to copy this file to another filename (in the example I'll use smtp2_psa).

Open up this file for editing (vi, note you will need to be rootly) and change the line "service smtp" to "service smtp2"

Once this is complete, you will need to modify your /etc/services file, and add the smtp2 service: "smtp2 2025/tcp mail"

Then restart xinetd. (/etc/init.d/xinetd reload)

And then your good to go. Try doing a telnet (telnet <domain> 2025) to make sure it is working and then set up mail clients. Remember that you can use any available port for the mail, 2025 is what I chose. If this does not work try doing "telnet 127.0.0.1 2025" from the a session on the machine itself, if this works then it means that you need to open the port on an external firewall.

Had problem with port 587 after upgrade

After upgrading Plesk, users using port 587 were getting log in errors when trying to send mail through outlook. The problem was with the shortnames setting, which for some reason was removed during the upgrade. Everyone had set up their email using their shortname login, not their entire email address.

I added this line into /etc/xinetd.d/smtp_psa_alt

env = SMTPAUTH=1 SHORTNAMES=1

restarted xinetd

viola!

postfix alternate smtp port without rbl check

For people who want an alternate port that does not query the rbl. I use this for clients that i am certain that they are not sending spam but they are using an adsl connection.

vi /etc/master.cf

add this line:

desiredportno inet n - - - - smtpd -o smtpd_proxy_filter=127.0.0.1:10025 -o smtpd_client_restrictions=
or
desiredip:desiredportno inet n - - - - smtpd -o smtpd_proxy_filter=127.0.0.1:10025 -o smtpd_client_restrictions=

and then /etc/init.d/postfix restart after that you can check that everything is working using:

telnet desiredip desiredport OR
netstat -antepula | grep desiredportno

in my case it shows:
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:1025 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 0 6164199 31406/master

Good luck

Thanks for this help. I just switched from qmail to postix on Plesk 9.5.4 and I had the same problem with port 587 so I added 587 inet n - - - - smtpd -o smtpd_proxy_filter=127.0.0.1:10025 -o smtpd_client_restrictions= to the master.cf file and it started working, but email could not be sent from port 25 anymore so I then added:
25 inet n - - - - smtpd -o smtpd_proxy_filter=127.0.0.1:10025 -o smtpd_client_restrictions= and it began working again. Is this a safe thing to do. I don't don't understand why port 25 stopped working; should I do anything else.

Thanks for helping

Miguel

Back