• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Apache Tomcat 5.5

I have installed Plesk8 beta on FC4 and it seems what you asked for is possible.

[root@vps04 ~]# rpm -qa|grep tomcat
tomcat5-servlet-2.4-api-5.0.30-5jpp_6fc
tomcat5-5.0.30-5jpp_6fc
tomcat5-admin-webapps-5.0.30-5jpp_6fc
tomcat5-webapps-5.0.30-5jpp_6fc
psa-tomcat-configurator-8.0.0-fc4.build80060217.15
tomcat5-jasper-5.0.30-5jpp_6fc
[root@vps04 ~]# rpm -qa|grep mod_jk
mod_jk-1.2.6-3jpp_4fc

Were you able to upgrade to Tomcat 5.5? I am also interested in doing this under Fedora Core 4.

Is anyone running tomcat 5.5? I'm going to upgrade at least one of my servers and will probably go for the 'remove all trace, install from scratch approach', removing the Plesk Tomcat capability in the process.

Any advice?

Garan.

Garan,

Please let me know if you have any luck. I really would like to upgrade as well.

I ended up removing tomcat5 completely and installing tomcat5.5 manually. It means that I've lost the psa control but I'm going to live with it :)

Rough steps are:
  1. Put a copy of /etc/tomcat5 somewhere safe where you can refer to it
  2. rpm -e tomcat5-admin-webapps tomcat5-webapps psa-tomcat-configurator tomcat5
  3. Download tomcat5.5 and the compatibility package (I'm running JRE 1.4) from apache and untar it somewhere sensible. This is your $CATALINA_HOME. chown -R the directory so that it is owned by your tomcat user.
  4. Locate, download and install a jsvc pre-compiled rpm (got mine for FC4 from http://www.jpackage.org/)
  5. Create an /etc/init.d/tomcat5.5 startup script that utilises JSVC. Make sure that the processes run as the tomcat user. Create the symlinks for start and stop
  6. Replace the $CATALINA_HOME/logs directory with a symlink to /var/log/tomcat5
  7. Edit the server.xml in $CATALINA_HOME/conf to create an AJP connector that listens on port 9008 (as per the Plesk /etc/httpd/conf/workers.properties)
  8. Define hosts, start it up, tail the catalina.out, fix the exceptions and bask in the glow!
    [/list=1]
    Hope that helps.

Garan.

Back