• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Apple Mail smtp authentication error

M

mmoyle

I am having trouble sending mail with Apple Mail 2.0.3 on OS X 10.3.9 (and other versions) and Plesk 7.5.3 Reloaded.

The error is: "The SMTP server servername does not support authentication".

It occurs after a password has been entered, and for all combinations of smtp settings. (Setting md5 or password, ssl or no ssl).

Thunderbird works fine.

Has there been a resolution to this long running discussion Topic? Has sw-soft added this known problem to their faq? (and I didn't see it?)

Does restarting Apple Mail after creating an account work? Or reseting the mail profiles or something like that?

best regard,
-mmoyle

I've never had a problem using Mail with my servers, I never heard of a "long running thread".

Thanks for your interest. There are other posts on this forum refering to the same problem, with vague resolutions that may work sometimes. (I meant discussion thread, so I changed my post to "discussion topic" as to not confuse with lightweight processes :)

Apple Mail and Plesk SMTP Auth Broken

I'd just like to reiterate that Apple Mail SMTP Authentication with Plesk 7 & 8 is definitely broken. Whether it's an Apple problem or a Plesk problem I don't know but Mail is definitely unusuable for sending email with Plesk and it's not a misconfiguration.

NTLM version 1 authentication:
Is it possible to set the server to use an auth/challenge version that mac entourage and all other email clients can accommodate?

NOTE:
This issue does not exist with cPanel.

FACT:
A very annoying and unfriendly situation.

QUESTION:
What can be done about this?

Bumping this to see if anyone has a solution. We have several MACs in our office and have had to set up their Mail programs to relay through our internet access providers outgoing email. Definitely not optimal.

Has anyone sorted out Apple Mail / Entourage outgoing mail authentication in Plesk 8 yet?

Workaround (unsatisfactory but available)
Use the non-Plesk installation of qmail on another port (26?)

Back