• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved apt-get error

Daniel B

New Pleskian
I have a problem with many confilcts
I don't understund why !

L'installation va s'arrêter

apg-get échoue avec le message suivant :
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
plesk-mail-pc-driver : Conflicts: psa-mail-driver
Conflicts: psa-qmail but 3:1.03-debian8.0.build1705170314.14 is to be installed
plesk-mail-qc-driver : Depends: psa-qmail-rblsmtpd but it is not going to be installed
Conflicts: postfix but 2.11.3-1+deb8u2 is to be installed
Conflicts: psa-mail-driver
postfix : Conflicts: mail-transport-agent
psa-qmail : Conflicts: mail-transport-agent

L'installation va s'arrêter

Reading package lists...
plesk-courier-imap-driver : Conflicts: plesk-dovecot-imap-driver but 17.5.3-debian8.0.build1705170317.16 is to be installed
plesk-dovecot : Conflicts: imap-server
Conflicts: pop3-server
Conflicts: psa-courier-authlib but 0.66.2-debian8.0.17031716 is to be installed
Conflicts: psa-courier-imap but 4.16.1-debian8.0.17031415 is to be installed
plesk-dovecot-imap-driver : Conflicts: plesk-courier-imap-driver but 17.5.3-debian8.0.build1705170317.16 is to be installed
plesk-mail-qc-driver : Depends: psa-qmail-rblsmtpd but it is not going to be installed
postfix-pcre : Depends: postfix (= 2.11.3-1+deb8u2) but it is not going to be installed
psa-courier-imap : Conflicts: imap-server
Conflicts: plesk-dovecot but 2.2.27-debian8.0.17031716 is to be installed
Conflicts: plesk-dovecot-core but 2.2.27-debian8.0.17031716 is to be installed
Conflicts: plesk-dovecot-pigeonhole but 0.4.16-debian8.0.17031519 is to be installed

another problem

Reading package lists...
plesk-courier-imap-driver : Conflicts: plesk-dovecot-imap-driver but 17.5.3-debian8.0.build1705170317.16 is to be installed
plesk-dovecot : Conflicts: imap-server
Conflicts: psa-courier-authlib but 0.66.2-debian8.0.17031716 is to be installed
Conflicts: psa-courier-imap but 4.16.1-debian8.0.17031415 is to be installed
plesk-dovecot-imap-driver : Conflicts: plesk-courier-imap-driver but 17.5.3-debian8.0.build1705170317.16 is to be installed
Conflicts: psa-qmail but 3:1.03-debian8.0.build1705170314.14 is to be installed
Conflicts: postfix but 2.11.3-1+deb8u2 is to be installed
Conflicts: psa-mail-driver
psa-courier-imap : Conflicts: imap-server
Conflicts: plesk-dovecot but 2.2.27-debian8.0.17031716 is to be installed
Conflicts: plesk-dovecot-core but 2.2.27-debian8.0.17031716 is to be installed
Conflicts: plesk-dovecot-pigeonhole but 0.4.16-debian8.0.17031519 is to be installed

Reading package lists...
postfix-pcre : Depends: postfix (= 2.11.3-1+deb8u2) but it is not going to be installed

after 'apt-get -f install'

~# apt-get -f install
Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
Construction de l'arbre des dépendances
Lecture des informations d'état... Fait
Correction des dépendances... Fait
Les paquets supplémentaires suivants seront installés :
psa-qmail-rblsmtpd
Les paquets suivants seront ENLEVÉS :
postfix-pcre
Les NOUVEAUX paquets suivants seront installés :
psa-qmail-rblsmtpd
0 mis à jour, 1 nouvellement installés, 1 à enlever et 7 non mis à jour.
3 partiellement installés ou enlevés.
Il est nécessaire de prendre 0 o/16,9 ko dans les archives.
Après cette opération, 276 ko d'espace disque seront libérés.
Souhaitez-vous continuer ? [O/n] O
(Lecture de la base de données... 108921 fichiers et répertoires déjà installés.)
Suppression de postfix-pcre (2.11.3-1+deb8u2) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/postfix-pcre.prerm: ligne 18: /usr/share/postfix/postinst.functions: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
dpkg: erreur de traitement du paquet postfix-pcre (--remove) :
le sous-processus script pre-removal installé a retourné une erreur de sortie d'état 1
/var/lib/dpkg/info/postfix-pcre.postinst: ligne 25: /usr/share/postfix/postinst.functions: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
dpkg : erreur lors du nettoyage :
le sous-processus script post-installation installé a retourné une erreur de sortie d'état 1
Des erreurs ont été rencontrées pendant l'exécution :
postfix-pcre
N: « plesk.list.ai_back » dans le répertoire « /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ » a été ignoré car il utilise une extension non valable
N: « plesk.list.ai_back » dans le répertoire « /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ » a été ignoré car il utilise une extension non valable
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Hi Daniel B,

how about using "aptitude", instead of "apt-get" on Debian/Ubuntu - based systems? "aptitude" is able to offer different solutions, based on the configured sources lists, if dependencies conflict with your installation/update/upgrade commands. ;)

I see that you are trying to install packages, which conflict with existent installed packages. Pls. use either "aptitude" because of the above mentioned advantages, or de-install the conflicting packages first, before you install the new packages ( Example: you can either have qmail or postfix installed on your server - both together will cause issues/errors/problems ).

Pls. note, that this forum is an "english only" Community. Pls. consider to translate other languages into english, so that people willing to help you are able to understand your posts. You agreed to "english only", when you registered your forum account! ;)

Thank for your reply, and sorry for the language, but it is a copy of my server.
Should I translate too? I am afraid that the instructions in English will be transformed.
For now my problem is strange with onyx. Since this morning I have no mail service on the server and I can not solve the problem.

Forgot to say, I can not install aptitude because apt-get returns errors.

Last edited:
Hi Daniel B,

Should I translate too?
Well, you want us to understand the error messages, as we ( mostly ) don't speak any french... sorry.

Since this morning I have no mail service on the server and I can not solve the problem
If you experience issues/errors/problems with your mail - server, the very first thing is to use the "Plesk Repair Utility" ( => Plesk Repair Utility ).

Example command:
Code:
plesk repair mail -y -v

In addition, it helps a lot, if you check the corresponding services ( postfix/qmail - dovecot/imap-courier ). Are they up and running?

In most cases, the "mail.log" ( or "maillog" ) from "/var/log" will help you to investigate issues/errors/problems and the plesk - related logs from "/var/log/plesk" help you to investigate issues/errors/problems with your Plesk Control Panel and last but not least, pls. note, that the corresponding configuration files could be added as attachment within your posts, so that people willing to help you have something to start with their investigations together with you. :)

Additional informations:

plesk repair mail -y -v dont' work

reponse : Error messages: 0; Warnings: 0; Errors resolved: 0

On /var/log/ mail log just

Sep 26 01:29:16 ns3087208 postfix/master[30130]: daemon started -- version 2.11.3, configuration /etc/postfix

On plesk services
Serveur Dovecot IMAP et POP3 is not running
if i run i have message : Error: The mail server (Postfix or Qmail) is not installed. Please install it to continue.

Hi Daniel B,

Error: The mail server (Postfix or Qmail) is not installed. Please install it to continue.
Did you consider to choose one or the other software over the Plesk Control Panel? ( => HOME > Updates and Upgrades > ( new window/tab ) Add/Remove components )

Plesk_Onyx_Updates-and-Upgrades_Mail-Server_002.png

In addition you have certainly the choice to install postfic or qmail over your command line:

Example commands ( logged in as user "root" over SSH ):
Code:
plesk installer --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --install-component qmail

or

plesk installer --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --install-component postfix

If your answer is "I already tried that" and you experienced issues/errors/problems, pls. note, that Plesk logs your installation processes at "/var/log/plesk/install" and you have the choice to investigate possible issues/errors/problems with these log - files. Consider to post the latest log - files as attachments, if you need help with your investigations.

Often enough it helps as well to choose ANOTHER software for your mail - server. So pls. consider to change as well between qmail and postfix and again, such processes are logged, so you are able to investigate possible issues/errors/problems with the help of you log - files.

The first solution product the error message below.

The second solution work no error. but impossible to restart de Serveur Dovecot IMAP et POP3.

In service with pesk panel : The Serveur SMTP () don't exist.

As you are close to God (I am sure ;-), ask him if I would not reformat all the server, go from 12.5 to onyx and re-install the domains, then re-migrate, reinstall the ssl certificates and update the ip address etc etc?

Hi Daniel B,

ask him if I would not reformat all the server, go from 12.5 to onyx and re-install the domains, then re-migrate, reinstall the ssl certificates and update the ip address etc etc?
I really don't think, that it is necessary to start all over again, as you only have some package issues on your server, which you could solve within minutes, while the start-all-over - process will take much longer. ;)

Pls. go back to your initial issues and see:
Conflicts
: psa-qmail but 3:1.03-debian8.0.build1705170314.14 is to be installed
plesk-mail-qc-driver
: Depends: psa-qmail-rblsmtpd but it is not going to be installed
Conflicts
: postfix but 2.11.3-1+deb8u2 is to be installed
Conflicts
: psa-mail-driver
how about using "aptitude", instead of "apt-get" on Debian/Ubuntu - based systems? "aptitude" is able to offer different solutions, based on the configured sources lists, if dependencies conflict with your installation/update/upgrade commands.

Let's assume, you desire to use "postfix" on your server, then you could use for example:
Code:
aptitude install postfix

and due to the fact, that you could see as well:
Code:
apt-cache search psa-mail-driver
with an EXAMPLE output like ( pls. note, that the example is the output from a system where Plesk 17.8.5 is installed! ):
Code:
plesk-mail-pc-driver - Plesk Onyx v17.8.5 Postfix mail driver
plesk-mail-mc-driver - Plesk Onyx v17.8.5 MSMTP mail driver
psa-mail-driver-common - Plesk Onyx v17.8.5 mail drivers common parts
plesk-mail-qc-driver - Plesk Onyx v17.8.5 QMail mail driver
... you would know, that "plesk-mail-pc-driver" is the relevant Plesk Onyx mail driver for "postfix", so would adjust your "aptitude" command to:
Code:
aptitude install postfix plesk-mail-pc-driver
"aptitude" will now inform you, if it recognizes dependencies issues and you have the choice to CHOOSE between found solutions for the installation process. ;)

Think about solving ONE issue AFTER the other and you will see, that there is no need to re-install from scratch. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
yes but aptitude is not install, and I have failed to install it.

apt-cache search psa-mail-driver
plesk-mail-qc-driver - Plesk Onyx v17.5.3 QMail mail driver
psa-mail-driver-common - Plesk Onyx v17.5.3 mail drivers common parts

I do not understand why in the plesk interface any references to emails have disappeared including in each client.
I wonder if an update is not responsible in addition to my ignorance.

A great respect for your patience with me, I am very touched

apt-get install aptitude
Reading Package Lists ... Done
Building the dependency tree
Reading status information ... Done
You can run "apt-get -f install" to correct these problems:
The following packages contain unsatisfied dependencies:
aptitude-common (= 0.6.11-1) but will not be installed
Depends: libcwidget3 but will not be installed
Depends: libxapian22 but will not be installed
Recommends: aptitude-doc-en but will not be installed or
aptitude-doc
Recommends: libparse-debianchangelog-perl but will not be installed
plesk-mail-qc-driver: Depends: psa-qmail-rblsmtpd but will not be installed
postfix-pcre: Depends: postfix (= 2.11.3-1 + deb8u2) but will not be installed
E: Dependencies not satisfied. Try "apt-get -f install" without a package
(or indicate a solution).

Hi Daniel B,

pls. start to read your informations from the command line, as it states clear:
The following packages contain unsatisfied dependencies:
aptitude-common (= 0.6.11-1) but will not be installed
Depends
: libcwidget3 but will not be installed
Depends
: libxapian22 but will not be installed
So pls. consider to expand your "apt-get" - install - command with the needed, dependent packages. ;)

I don't understund "So pls. consider to expand your "apt-get" - install - command with the needed, dependent packages."

Hi Daniel B,

"aptitude" itself needs additional packages, as mentioned by your output from your "apt-get" - command. If you desire to install "aptitude" with "apt-get", you have to include the dependent packages as well. ;)

EXAMPLE:
Code:
apt-get install aptitude ADDITIONAL-PACKGAE-NO-1 ADDITIONAL-PACKGAE-NO-2

"Determination is the Key to Success"

I just reacquired using just onyx plesk panel by installing MAILMAN
everything seems to work now.

Last edited:
Back