• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Atmail Server responded: -ERR Login failed

Mysthik

New Pleskian
Dear Community,
i'm very desperate since a few weeks, because i'm not able to log in my mail account anymore.
Everytime I try to login it gives me: Server responded: -ERR Login failed.
I restarted the server a few times, but it didn't help in this case. I tried to find a solution in the forums and so i checked my /etc/hosts file which says:
Code:
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
# Autogenerated hostname. Please do not remove this comment....
it shouldnt be something wrong with that file.

So I continued my search. In another forum, somebody wrote that a commun fix for that is, to simply restart courier-imap
-->
Code:
/etc/init.d/courir-imap restart
Stopping Courier-IMAP server:
Stopping imap done
Stopping imap-ssl done
Stopping pop3 done
Stopping pop3-ssl done

Starting Courier-IMAP server:
Starting imap done
Starting imap-ssl done
Starting pop3 done
Starting pop3-ssl done

/etc/init.d/courier-imap status
couriertcpd (pid....) is running...
so it didnt help as well.
Since I'm pretty srcrewed up, if I'm not able to login and get my emails back - Is there anyone who can help me in that issue?
Thanks in advance

Plain text authentication is most likely disabled in the Courier IMAP configuration file.
Enable plain text authentication by editing /etc/courier-imap/imapd Add the AUTH=PLAIN parameter to the values of the IMAP_CAPABILITY variable.

For example:
IMAP_CAPABILITY="IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT AUTH=PLAIN THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE"

Do not forget to restart courier-imap service:
# /etc/init.d/courier-imap restart

Thanks for your fast answer. You were right, it was disabled.
It was:
Code:
##NAME: IMAP_CAPABILITY:1
#
# IMAP_CAPABILITY specifies what most of the response should be to the
# CAPABILITY command.
#
# If you have properly configured Courier to use CRAM-MD5 or CRAM-SHA1
# authentication (see INSTALL), set IMAP_CAPABILITY as follows:
#
# IMAP_CAPABILITY="IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA AUTH=CRAM-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-SHA1 IDLE"
#

IMAP_CAPABILITY="IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA AUTH=CRAM-MD5 AUTH=PLAIN IDLE"
so I changed it to:
Code:
#
# IMAP_CAPABILITY specifies what most of the response should be to the
# CAPABILITY command.
#
# If you have properly configured Courier to use CRAM-MD5 or CRAM-SHA1
# authentication (see INSTALL), set IMAP_CAPABILITY as follows:
#
# IMAP_CAPABILITY="IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA AUTH=CRAM-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-SHA1 IDLE"
#

IMAP_CAPABILITY="IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT AUTH=PLAIN THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA AUTH=CRAM-MD5 AUTH=PLAIN IDLE"
like you said.
Restarted the courier-imap
Code:
Stopping Courier-IMAP server:
   Stopping imap done
   Stopping imap-ssl done
   Stopping pop3 done
   Stopping pop3-ssl done

Starting Courier-IMAP server:
   Starting imapd done
   Starting imap-ssl done
   Starting pop3 done
   Starting pop3-ssl done
but it didnt change something at all. I still get this lovely "Atmail Server responded: -ERR Login failed" :(

Sorry to point it out, but you did nothing:

so I changed it to:
Code:
IMAP_CAPABILITY="IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT [B][U]AUTH=PLAIN[/U] [/B]THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA AUTH=CRAM-MD5 [B][U]AUTH=PLAIN[/U] [/B]IDLE"
like you said.

Search maillog for errors.

Sorry to point it out, but you did nothing:
Search maillog for errors.

ah thx my bad havent read the whole line...

So I checked my error_log in /var/log/atmail/ again and there are two kinds of erros:
Code:
[timestamp..][warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN) `Parallels Panel' does NOT match server name!?
which I think can be ignored
and this one
Code:
[error] [client IP..] File does not exist: /var/www/atmail/javascript/fckeditor/editor/javascript
which I think is the more creepier one. Might this be the reason why atmail goes wild? If its the reason - how do I fix it? Or is there another maillog I should take a look at? Thx in advance

I actually meant /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog

Might I also suggest switching to another webmail? You know, AtMail is old and is not supported for a long time. It is effectively dropped in Plesk 11.5 (though you may keep one if you're upgrading). So you'll probably have to switch sooner or later.

I actually meant /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog

ah ok, so there is an other errorlog, I see.

Code:
Oct  4 19:35:29 lvps... .. .. ... imapd: Connection, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
Oct  4 19:35:34 lvps... .. .. ... imapd: IMAP connect from @ [::ffff:127.0.0.1]ERR: LOGIN FAILED, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
Oct  4 19:35:34 lvps... .. .. ... imapd: 1380908134.416296 DISCONNECTED, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], headers=0, body=0, rcvd=0, sent=63, maildir=/root
Oct  4 19:35:34 lvps... .. .. ... imapd: Connection, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
Oct  4 19:35:39 lvps... .. .. ... imapd: IMAP connect from @ [::ffff:127.0.0.1]ERR: LOGIN FAILED, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
Oct  4 19:35:39 lvps... .. .. ... imapd: 1380908139.426396 DISCONNECTED, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], headers=0, body=0, rcvd=0, sent=63, maildir=/root
I got this, when I tried to login a few minutes ago in /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog

Back