• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Automating Docker Creation

Brandon Turpin

Basic Pleskian
I am trying to automate getting everything set up in Plesk when someone signs up. I am able to do almost everything through the Rest API and the Rest API's CLI call. The only thing I have not been able to automate is creating and assigning a docker container to a domains docker proxy rules. The CLI call in the Rest API does not have the ability to do anything with docker containers. I really need to get this part automated, but it seem using Plesk is limiting my ability to automate the docker container creation and management. Has anyone done anything to be able manage this?

Has no one been able to automate the docker creation and upgrade within plesk? Sounds like maybe I have outgrown what Plesk can handle :(

Brandon,

I suspect that not many have had a need or use for it (yet). I found your post during a post I was making about use of Docker images for ColdFusion. I would love to simplify automatic deployment of images during account setup.

Here are some thoughts/questions....

• I use WHMCS for my customer account management and automation. Given that it's possible to create additional modules for WHMCS, I wonder if there is an API set of commands that could be executed against the Plesk server to set up the docker container?
  • If the API is available for it (I haven't yet looked at Plesk docs), it should also be possible to create a script or Plesk plugin to automate the deployment deployment.
  • I suspect whatever docker image gets deployed, it would need some configuration based on site parameters.
I'd be interested in hearing if you made any progress with this or if maybe we could share ideas (assuming we have similar interest and needs).

a bit late to the party I managed to do this i found that you can simply spin up a docker container and it will show up in the Plesk extension
As we already use Ansible for a lot of automation i did it with that and the problem was solved

Back