• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Backup All domains from Plesk 11.5 to a new Server with Plesk 12

firephil

New Pleskian
How to achieve this ? I need to transfer all of my domains to a new server is there an easy solution to avoid manually backing up all the files, databases create new subscriptions,domains etc Also i will have to perform the same task for a local development machine which has already plesk 12 install (debian 7.8)

So in summary Plesk 11.5 (centOs 5.6) => Plesk 12 (debian 7.8)

@firephil

The best way to achieve this is the migration manager in Plesk, that can be found under "Server Management", "Tools & Settings".

The main advantage is that you can use a clean installation of Plesk on each new server and, afterwards, migrate domains, content thereof, settings etc.

Note that it is adviceable to migrate domains on domain-per-domain basis and/or restrict the number of domains to a limited set per migration (and migrate license keys(s) and the server settings after all domains, resellers, clients etc. are transferred succesfully).

The above method allows for a graceful migration, with a possibility to adjust DNS seamlessly (note that DNS changes, pointing to the new server, can take a lot of time before they become visible in the whole internet, so migrate data and content first and change DNS over the weekend or any other period of low traffic, by preference at night).

Also note that it is very adviceable to make backups before migration.

And finally, plan some time for the whole migration, if the migration concerns a lot of data: the migration process can be relatively slow (amongst others depending on the available bandwidth). If the migration process becomes too slow, you can also copy the backups to the new server and restore them on the new server, in order to mimick the migration process (this also can take a considerate amount of time: it is faster than using the migration manager, but also more error prone).

Naturally, you can combine the two processes (using the migration manager AND the backup-restore-on-new-server process) and execute both tasks simultaneously, in order to increase migration speed.

Hope the above helps...

Kind regards...

Thanks :) The migration manager was not installed by default, i had to go to Updates and Upgrades and install it.
I will migrate first to a Local virtualbox VM and then to my new server...

[edit]
It turns out that i have Plesk version 11.0.9 and the migration manager doesn't work with this version i will need to upgrade to version 11.5 and then use the migration manager.

But plesk doesn't give me the option to upgrade, any suggestions ?

Last edited:
@firephil,

To be honest, if you have version 11.0.9 of Plesk, it is probably better to buy a new license for Plesk 12, in order to start using Plesk 12 immediately.

Buying SUS for version 11.0.9 would also be an option, but that would merely result in a process of (first) an upgrade of your existing (old) Plesk installation and (afterwards) an migration to the new server.

In a sense, the latter (two-stage) process is necessary to have a reliable upgrade, transfer and migration to a new server.

It will always be an time-consuming, costly (licenses, man hours etc.) and error prone process, so take one step at a time.

My advice would be to contact Parallels sales team and have them explain all the options and associated costs, since it is inevitable to invest in licenses and new Plesk versions.

Kind regards....

Back