• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Backup Fails

Peter-

Basic Pleskian
With message: unable to create dump.

The only thing I changed was to add a new cron task. If I remove it, it works. Any clues?

Where do I get the logs from?

you find the logs below $PRODUCT_ROOT_D/PMM/sessions (on linux /usr/local/psa/PMM/sessions) in timestamped directories, the interesting one is psadump.log

1. to do a quick test if you are affected by the encoding bug i encountered or just to find the problematic domain you can run a fast configuration only backup from command line

Code:
#:/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskbackup domains-name yourdomain.tld -c  -vvvvvv

2.if it fails find latest psadump.log as described above and check if it contains an error line similar to this:

Code:
[25284]: 13:32:54 DEBUG Unable to create dump: 
not well-formed (invalid token) at line 141, column 17, byte 7313 at /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser.pm line 187

3. if it does, dump the xml manually with the command just logged before the error:
Code:
#:/usr/local/psa/bin/sw-engine-pleskrun /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/backup_restore_helper --backup-subscription yourdomain.tld  > testdump.xml

4. examine the dumped xml on the line and column noted in the error message.

if it is an encoding problem you'll find the content of your domains custom *.conf files there, which causes the error.

5. since there might be more than one location to change, the best fix is to convert these conf-files to utf-8 without bom and review them to remove any leftover garbage from conversion.

6. if this does not help, because this is not the error, post the content of psadump.log,
(afaik even in verbose mode it does not contain confidental values, but check it. )

Last edited:
Hello

Found the error...

After examining the logs like you said, I found out that my shell cmds were causing the problem:

cd /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/.../cron ; /usr/bin/php /var/www/vhosts/.../script.php > /dev/null 2>&1;

The > was causing a xml error probably. Removed it and it works.

Btw, any idea how can I run cmds without also having to change directory before? Also, the command I was using was copied from a cpanel server. It's last part was to throw away the output as it wasn't needed. Anything I can do about it? I don't want outputs for my cron scripts and I don't want to have to periodically remove some huge log file

Thanks

Back