• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Backup FTP problems "Curl error: a timeout was reached"

Nickv,

Man - am I glad to see your post! I have been dealing with this problem for over a month now (FTP'ing a backup). In fact, I see this timeout error even when I backup an individual site that is only 100MB. It seems that the backup, regardless of the size, gets just about to the end, then quits leaving a corrupt .zip on my ftp server and the backup sitting on the server w/the error msg.

Additionally, if I rdp onto the server and manually ftp the file using the command-line version of ftp in windows, the transfer completes successfully and is *much* faster than when the ftp is run by plesk. I have gone even further to test the ftp upload functions of my server using php. I tested using Curl and I tested using the native ftp commands in php, and the curl version uploads at 60-80KB/s while the native ftp commands upload at my connection rated speed of 300+KB/s.

Anyway, I have reported this to my ISP and they subsequently openned a ticket with parallels. I got word this morning that parallels knows of the problem, but has no ETA of when it will be fixed. Consequently, my ISP is now recommending that we manually go back to Plesk v8.6 on my dedicated server.

At this point, I am unclear about how destructive this move will be. I am trying to get clarification now. If it's going to be too destructive, I will not do this and re-build a new server without Plesk. I am absolutely horrified at the quality of this product release and the subsequent response - or lack of, from parallels.

Anyway, thanks for your post - it did me some good to finally see someone else post the error that I have been stressing about for a month now.

They rushed the release of 9.0 and everyone can see it. Their goal was Q4 2008 and they met it. Who has time to test software in today's busy world anyways?

Over half of the bug fixes in 9.0.1 are for their new and improved backup system.

You'll be happier with Plesk 8.6

You have to turn your firewall off in order to get your FTP Backup work, but it is not a nice solution.

It is NOT a firewall problem.

I have control over BOTH my Plesk server AND my FTP server and have turned the firewall OFF on BOTH and the problem persists. Additionally, the connection from Plesk to FTP is made and MOST of the backup file IS transferred. It's just that at the very end (regardless of the backup size), Plesk decides to quit.

Furthermore, immediately AFTER Plesk fails, I am able to run my own PHP FTP program and successfully transfer the file via CURL or the Native PHP FTP commands. I am also able to send the file via the Microsoft FTP command line tool. It's also important to note that both MY PHP program AND the Plesk program ftp the file at a snail's pace (60-80KB/s) while the native FTP commands and the command-line ftp program runs at my actual connection speed (250+KB/s).

Again, ONLY on Plesk does the FTP transfer "timeout". And, more importantly, this all worked beautifully on Plesk 8.6. 9.0 is TERRIBLE!! And, there is absolutely no acknowledgement or timeframe for fixes from Parallels. I am leaning towards dumping Plesk for DotNetPanel. Which is too bad because my initial year with Plesk was an excellent experience, but if I have to go through a painful down-grade to Plesk 8.6, then perhaps this would be my best opportunity to get away from Plesk.

Yeah, exactly the same experience here.

Last night we scheduled to shut off the firewall before the backup from Plesk, and scheduled it to go back on after the backup (via w2k8 task scheduler actions) unfortunately the same result; most of the backup file is transferred but not all of it.

However, before we had now FTP transfer at all and after setting the firewall to allow all inbound and outbound traffic for the FTP backup server, it "works" like this (incomplete transfers with curl timeout)

Parallels (Sergius?) when will this be fixed ? Are you working on it ?

Best Regards,

Nick
Prioserve Webhosting

sergius,

If someone at parallels wants to contact me, I can easily walk them through the problem on my dedicated server and remote ftp server. I can even send them some of my own code where the problem is demonstrated even further.

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the reports.
The issues is confirmed and will be fixed as soon as possible.

I can also confirm this issue. The automatic FTP backups always fails with a "Curl error: a timeout was reached" error. Manual backups to the local repository work.

Why isnt there a fix yet?

Execution TimeOut issues on Backup file upload

I see that since the Plesk Windows version 9.x is out, I could not upload localy saved files (uper 10MB) to the Plesk Backup Repositories, by a execution time out. This looks like there is a restriction to the fileupload or upload excution time into your code.

Now I in the situation, that I had to move a domain to a other Server but could not transfer the files and database backups.

Need HELP asap.

Thanks

Matthias

Where can you see this error?

Hi:

I have a similar backup problem, but I'm not sure if my problem is the same as the one you're talking about.
Where can you see the error "Curl error: a timeout was reached"?

Thanks in advance

Look at following KB article. I hope it will help.

I've added the FtpRequestTimeOut value in the registry, but I was reluctant to to replace the psarepository.dll file because I'm running 9.2.1 and my version appears to be be newer than the one in the zip file.

EDIT:

Today, the Curl errors weren't in the migration.result file.

All I have to do now is work out how to stop the "Version string portion was too short or too long" warning and there'll be six less emails in my inbox every morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi:

I have a similar backup problem, but I'm not sure if my problem is the same as the one you're talking about.
Where can you see the error "Curl error: a timeout was reached"?

Thanks in advance

In the "migration.result" file which is attached to the Backup/Restore task notification email.

The strange thing is that the error wasn't in today's files.

Possible temporary solution

Hi:

Finally I'm doing scheduled local backups and copying the local repository to a FTP server using the software "Cobian".
The last hope to doing backups using FTP with Plesk 9.2.1 is scheduling backups using the command-line as explained here:
http://download1.parallels.com/Ples...backup-cli-guide/index.htm?fileName=62059.htm

The only problem is that this document doesn't explain the parameters to make backups to a FTP server.

Other thread related to this problem:
http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=90033
http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=93003

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Back