• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Backup Manager

Dr Zoidberg

New Pleskian
I've been reading through various posts about the backup manager as I've got this running as a scheduled back-up for a selection of domains, on to a local FTP server.

Does anyone know whether the backup file created is a FULL backup of everything (including domain config and settings AND databases associated with the domain - including full db tables and content)? The reason I ask is that the backups for domains with databases seem very small, compared with the size of the databases. Is this just efficient compression? I only have the one Plesk box, so I cannot really test a restore with an identically named database on to the same box.

Also, does anyone know whether the backup service would be dumping huge amounts of data on to my HD? A couple of larger domains have massively increased in used disk space since I started using the backup, but I cannot see where these additional files might be - nor do I understand why that might be the case.

Someone else said they had a large amount of data being dumped on to their HD as a result of using the backup, but this was a while back and seemed to have been patched. I have the latest Plesk updates installed.

Thanks.

You may check the database archives presence in backup.

zcat backup.file | grep '<database ' | grep database_name_you_are_interesting_in

Take a look at "cid" attribute - it's a MIME part identifier of database archive. Search this part in backup archive and see (you may extract mime parts with munpack utility)

PBM uses /var/lib/psa/dumps/ directory for temporary backups storage - search for backups here...

Thanks. Most of that is over my head, so I've passed it to a friend.

The increase in domain HD usage is, apparantly, a known issue which SWSoft are going to log in to fix.

Thanks.

Back