• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Backup / Migrating Methodology - my understanding of no protection!

teckna

Basic Pleskian
hi,

We have sitebuilder 4.5 running under Ubuntu 8.04.

I am looking for a backup methodology to enable me to recover Sitebuilder sites in the event of a disaster. Manually rebuilding 100 sites is not really an option :)

From what I have read the SBbackup / Restore facility is only of any use if you use it on EXACTLY the same server ?

The bit I cannot understand is there seems to be use in taking off-site backups as they are useless unless its back to the same exact build ? There does not seem to be anyway to protect my business! even if a new server is built with the same versions of Plesk / SB.

What options do I have to protect my business ?
Are there certain things that need to be the same to enable a restore ?

Thanks - living life on the edge with no way to protect and backup SB sites.

Andy

Actually, situation looks differently. I will try to explain:
Parallels Plesk Sitebuilder backup and restore utilities are purposed to backup and recover users and sites within one Sitebuilder installation. That is right. This is related to specific IDs in database records. So it is not possible to restore a site or user from one server on different one. Actually, restoration should go well but at the end site could not work properly.
In case of full Sitebuilder backup (when you backup all content) it would be possible to restore it on new clean Sitebuilder installation server together with database.
It is also possible to make full Sitebuilder root directory dump /opt/sitebuilder (in case of Ubuntu) together with database dump and restore it on any new Sitebuilder server manually. This content not linked with server itslef, so it can be migrated to different server without any issues but only manually.

Thanks so far ...

My aim is to create a weekly backup, so if i get a crash I can restore.

So, it looks like all or nothing ..

so

1. Ill backup /opt/sitebuilder
2. backup Sitebuilder sql tables ?

Then if i get in that situation, I rebuild a new sitebuilder server and then manually restore the two over the top of current files / tables ?

Andy

Would it be possible to fully explain the back up procedure and restoration of SB database.

I've cancelled my service with my dedicated server provider and need to migrate the SB users and sites over.

I've read everything I could find but cannot find anything about how to backup the SB database and restore it on the new server.

http://kb.odin.com/en/5512

I get to 3.

3. Migrate Sitebuilder database sitebuilder3 to new server. You may get name of Sitebuilder database using utility sb_config:

~# sb_config --help | grep sb_db_name
--sb_db_name Sitebuilder database name [sitebuilder3]
~#

But there is nothing to describe this process.

Since it takes quite a long time to get a response in this forum can you please simply explain in very simple terms what needs to be moved to the new server and how.

Thanks a million.

Migrating database 'sitebuilder3' means that you have Parallels Plesk Sitebuilder database backup and you know how MySQL database should be restored. Simply, it should be something like this:

Create Sitebuilder MySQL database dump on old server:

# mysqldump -uROOT -pPASSWORD sitebuilder3 > sitebuilder3.sql

After that migrate file sitebuilder3.sql to new server where Sitebuilder already installed.

Restore dump using following command:

# mysql -uROOT -pPASSWORD sitebuilder3 < sitebuilder3.sql

Dump file should be located in the same directory where you are now running mysql command.
For more information I can suggest you to refer to MySQL manuals.

I figured all of that out. I backed up old sitebuilder3 database and restored it on the new server.

a few things.

What needs to be changed?

1. I've run the commands
sb_config --sb_hostname=NEW.SITEBUILDER.HOSTNAME --sb_host_ip=NEW.IP --force_update_wscfg

- looks like it's been changed in the config file
how does this relate to the database? won't it still have old server IP and data in it?

2. Ran - recreate Sitebuilder MySQL user sitebuilder_db:

~# sb_config --db_admin_name MYSQL.ADMIN.USER --db_admin_passwd MYSQL.ADMIN.PASSWORD --force_update_db
Says in log file:
[2009 Feb 19 16:06:19] Updating Sitebuilder database user credentials
[2009 Feb 19 16:06:19] Creating Sitebuilder database
[2009 Feb 19 16:06:19] Updating Sitebuilder database user credentials
[2009 Feb 19 16:06:19] Database already exists
[2009 Feb 19 16:06:20] Locales have been successfully updated
[2009 Feb 19 16:06:21] Skins have been successfully updated
[2009 Feb 19 16:08:03] Templates have been successfully updated

But now when I try to access Sitebuilder it doesn't open it opens the login screen for SB within Plesk and the login details don't work.

3. What about the SB license info?

Why is your documentation so incomplete? http://kb.odin.com/en/5512 - doesn't say anything about license on a new platform.

Can you help please?

I seem to have figured it out. All the sites and users seem to be restored.

A few sites had eSHop modules that don't seem to have moved over properly. Is there anything I can do to recover those sites completely? There was a lot of work put into those shops.

Haven't checked yet but will this happen for all modules transferred?

Thanks,

Kevin

Did you change publishing location for the sites? If so, content from the old storage should be moved to new one and after that site should be re-published.
The thing is that Parallels Plesk Sitebuilder sites store database module on publication side, so in case of changing publishing location, old data should be moved to new location.

As for the license key, you need to switch off previous server and install the same license on new one.

I seem to have figured it out. All the sites and users seem to be restored.

A few sites had eSHop modules that don't seem to have moved over properly. Is there anything I can do to recover those sites completely? There was a lot of work put into those shops.

Haven't checked yet but will this happen for all modules transferred?

Thanks,

Kevin

Hey Kevin,

How did you resolve this, i am having the same issue. i get a login page when i try access sitebuilder in plesk.

Back