• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Backup/Restore from one server to another

A

Alasdairrr

Hi Everyone,

We're planning a migration from a Plesk server in one datacenter, to a Plesk server in another datacenter.

To minimise downtime, we plan to move groups of clients, say 20 - 50, from one server to the other. We're handling the DNS on a separate server, and have set the TTL's to 60, so we don't need to worry about that aspect.

What I was planning on doing, is to run the psadump utility for X number of clients, move the dump over, and do a restore, then update the DNS. Requests should then go to the new server. Repeat until all clients are moved.

While for psadump you can disable it starting/stopping services, there seems to be no way to stop psarestore stopping/starting services. Obviously we don't want any downtime, so this seems unacceptable, as every time we perform a restore, Apache, MySQL, etc, will be unavailable for the duration.

Is there any way to stop psarestore stopping services?

If not, can anyone recommend another method of migrating the clients across?

Many thanks.

Not to worry - I found a (crude) way to stop the starting and stopping of services during a restore.

I simply made a copy of psarestore, and removed the offending lines from the code (It's a basic Perl script).

If you have two seperate servers then you can leave the first once running while the other is restoring the dump file. The only thing is that you might lose any changes in data during the restore time. Which can actually take quite a long time.

Back