• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Backup to FTP Never Completing

risede

Basic Pleskian
I am trying to schedule backup jobs for individual domains. In Plesk 8.6, this was working fine. Now that I am upgraded to 9.0, none of my backups will complete. Even if I run the backup directly (not as a scheduled task), the file starts to upload to my remote FTP site, but never quite completes.

When it fails, I get this error:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<execution-result status="error">
<object name="backup" type="backupowner">
<message code="ApplicationException" severity="error">Cannot export dump file 'clients\yyy\domains\xxx.com\man__xxx.com_info_0901030943.xml' to 'ftp://[email protected]//' [Transport error: unable to send directory to repository: Transport error: unable to put local file C:/WINDOWS/TEMP/repo_transport_tmp_01c96dba174a74f0/man__xxx.com_0901030943.zip to man__xxx.com_0901030943.zip: Curl error: a timeout was reached]</message>
</object>
</execution-result>

I have domains that zip from 7MB to +100MB. The smaller ones seem to be ok (less than 25MB), but anything larger than that, it transfers almost all of the files and then terminates earlier without sending the tail end of the file (like the last 100K).

I'm guessing the error is legit, meaning the timeout value is set too low but I wouldn't know without troubleshooting it. However, you can put it to test, try to FTP the file from the shell to the remote server, see if that works. If it does, then the issue is clearly with the PSA settings somewhere.

OK - some intersting issues...

I am ftp'ing to a local server here in my office, so I can watch both sides of the FTP transfer.

First, on the plesk server, I have Windows firewall running. I have holes in the firewall for FTP 20 & 21 and holes in the firewall from ports 5000-5200 and plesk configured to use those ports (should only be for the FTP server I think?).

Anyway, I tried simply ftp'ing the file from the command line with the Firewall enabled. On the FTP Server (the remote box here in my office), I could see the file being retrieved, but the file tranfer times were quite slow (50-80Kbps). At some point in the transfer (the point was random), the transfer would fail with a timeout.

I then turned the firewall off, and the transfer times went way up (300+Kbps), and the file transfer was successful (multiple times).

Turn the firewall back off - transfers slow & fail everytime.

So I figured the problem was the firewall. So I turned the firewall off and tried running the backup with the back-up manager. Regardless of the firewall settings (on or off), the transfer through the backup manager runs at the slower pace (around 70Kbps) and dies everytime at the very end of the transfer process.

** Update... Running pleskbackup.exe against the domain and ftp'ing is also slow (~80Kbps) - whether the firewall is on or off.

Immediately after running the failed pleskbackup, I command line FTP'ed the file to the server successfully at 500+Kbps.

The backup, when successfully uploaded to the server is 45,153KB in size. When I ran the pleskbackup.exe or through the Backup Manager in the Control Panel, the resulting file size was/is ~44,320KB (consistently close to the proper number, but never the exact same number) and will not open (says the file is invalid or corrupt).

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the reports.
The issues is confirmed and will be fixed as soon as possible.

Back