• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Best extension for entire server backups?

lemoneye

New Pleskian
Currently running 5 boxes (4 Ubuntu and 1 Windows) all running Plesk Obsidian. Until now we have configured these servers to backup to a local machine to store offline backups of each entire server. However, the backup file sizes of the larger two are 50Gb and 60Gb which take significant time to come down, and what is more concerning would take a very long time to restore uploading over standard broadband to our service provider.

Therefore I'm looking to find good value Cloud based space (Amazon S3 or similar) which I can set the full server backups to go to. The issue seems to be the the Plesk extensions for backup are often aimed at subscription level backups and not whole server, so can I ask others if they have found good solutions for whole server at sensible costs? Which extensions and whose space?

Thanks guys. Brendon.

Currently running 5 boxes (4 Ubuntu and 1 Windows) all running Plesk Obsidian. Until now we have configured these servers to backup to a local machine to store offline backups of each entire server. However, the backup file sizes of the larger two are 50Gb and 60Gb which take significant time to come down, and what is more concerning would take a very long time to restore uploading over standard broadband to our service provider.

Therefore I'm looking to find good value Cloud based space (Amazon S3 or similar) which I can set the full server backups to go to. The issue seems to be the the Plesk extensions for backup are often aimed at subscription level backups and not whole server, so can I ask others if they have found good solutions for whole server at sensible costs? Which extensions and whose space?

Thanks guys. Brendon.
Hi Brendon

I'm facing a similar dilemma. I'd interested to know if and what conclusion you came to if you don't mind sharing?
TIA

We ended up using a Raspberry Pi with a 2Tb drive attached as a backup solution and using the SFTP Backup extension from Plesk. We configured a subdomain to point at the IP address that the Pi is on and then use that control where backups go.

In this way we retain the Plesk backup page, and it has a list of both local and remote backups that one can recover from. And it's a hell of a lot cheaper than Acronis or similar.

Back