• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Best Extension to backup the whole system

Pandasonic

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian v18.0.48_build1800221104.03 os_Ubuntu 22.04
I'm moving to a new server and from Centos to Ubuntu.
Before to do it I'm looking for an easy to manage backup solution that ensures the backup of the whole system non only of the website or db. This is not a real problem since I've always many copies of theme stored locally. I need a backup system that ensures recovery of the system in case of corruption of files of Plesk , apache or nginx or other that can cause a malfunction. After some test Acronis backup seems to me the best extension. It has a cost of €14.00/100GB Storage/month but I'm not sure if it grant this kind of recovery. Have you some suggestion?

Acronis works pretty well if you have the database in localhost only. If you use an external database (like AWS RDS) Acronis no logner works.

I suggest to use S3 object storage (AWS, Scaleway, etc.) that is lot cheaper.

Thanks, one only database, in local. Acronis is very simply yo use. I haven't tried AWS but only FTP to external space (and don't word), Google and Dropbox, but both require more space to store. Acronis is ready to use. Now I'm in trial period.

BORG is the leader.. Free and amazingly flexible.. Imagine, to restore something, you just mount the borg folder, cd to the date you want,
cd to the right folder, copy whatever you want..
... however if you need a backup you can restore to bare metal and boot it, fsarchiver is probably a better choice. And on non-EFI systems, dd for the root sector and the first megabyte with the bootloader. (Then you can use incremental borg backups on top of that.)

If you are looking for a easy to use, very fast and VERY space efficient backup solution I would recommend you to check out borgbackup (or borgbackup2 in its latest version).

I recently setup my own server on the hetzner cloud running debian with it and i backup around 100 machines with it. The machines all run their own cronjobs to create backups, which are pushed via ssh protocol to the backup server.

I followed this very easy to understand blogpost on how to do it. i just copy pasted all the commands there.

You can just mount the backups you want to restore like NFS or SSHFS to the backup client and pick out the files you need to restore. It solved all my backups needs :)

Back