• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Best Linux for Plesk 8 ?

We run Plesk 7.5.x on CentOS 3.7 and Plesk 8.0.0 and Plesk 8.0.1 (yes, i tried upgrading to .0.1 on 1 server. Scary :)) on CentOS 4.3. We also user CentOS for mail relay, dns environment etc. Tried Debian, didn't like it.

CentOS is stable and proven (RHEL). Training and Certification on RHEL is available; that's also very important to us...

I am using it on FreeBSD 6.0 and I never faced problems yet. No bugs with Plesk upgrade and no downtime for nothing... :)

Originally posted by Garp
We run Plesk 7.5.x on CentOS 3.7 and Plesk 8.0.0 and Plesk 8.0.1 (yes, i tried upgrading to .0.1 on 1 server. Scary :)) on CentOS 4.3. We also user CentOS for mail relay, dns environment etc. Tried Debian, didn't like it.

CentOS is stable and proven (RHEL). Training and Certification on RHEL is available; that's also very important to us...

What about 64 bit SO's. Does it make any difference with plesk? Would RHEL-64 be better than CentOs 4.3 (32 bit)?

Has anyone ran Plesk 8 in a VM enviroment like VMWare Server or MS Virtual Server? Is there a significant loss in performance in a VM?

I would say run the distro you're comfortable with. We've been running debian on most our servers but that wasn't supported when we started to try Plesk. So we installed RHEL3 and got plesk up and running. Haven't been a smooth journey in any way, but I think most of it's because of our lack of RHEL-skill. Looking forward to switch OS back to debian or ubuntu on our plesk server... :)

Back