• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Best Linux for Plesk 8 ?

P

pnymat

Hi, in your advice, what is the most supported linux for Plesk 8 ?

I am hesitate between Fedora Core 4 and Debian Sarge, but what is the best for Plesk ?

SWsoft recommand a particular Linux distro ?

Many thanks

Originally posted by pnymat
Hi, in your advice, what is the most supported linux for Plesk 8 ?

I am hesitate between Fedora Core 4 and Debian Sarge, but what is the best for Plesk ?

SWsoft recommand a particular Linux distro ?

Many thanks

I'd say Centos 4.3 myself. Longer lifespan than FC but essentially the same as RHEL.

I agree! I'd say stay away from Debian, if you look over the forums that seems to be the OS with the most problems.

Originally posted by phoenixisp
I agree! I'd say stay away from Debian, if you look over the forums that seems to be the OS with the most problems.

Ok, many thanks for answer, just a little question, my hoster offer Debian Sarge, Fedora Core 4 and CentOS 4.2 with automatic install. You say CentOS 4.3 but Plesk 8 works well on CentOS 4.2 too ?

Between:

Debian Sarge
Fedora Core 4
CentOS 4.2

In this case, I preffer CentOS 4.2, CentOS is a clon of RHEL4 but CentOS is free and RHEL 4 isn't free.

Many thanks all for informations, i will take a look to the centos web site.

I suggest CentOS as well. It runs well. Quick question though for all, I have a server that is capable of running at 64 bit. Is Fedora Core 4 x86_64 the only supported Linux that Plesk will run on for this?

I currently have CentOS 4.3 x86_64 installed and it runs great, but was planning on doing the reinstall for Fedora C4.

Anyway, sorry to get off topic. I would suggest CentOS over Fedora though. RHEL/CentOS is a stable platform. Have not had much experience with Debian other than Ubuntu, and that seemed more desktop oriented.

Regards,
Tom

I have problem to install Plesk 8 on CentOS 4.2 :(

Plesk can't update selinux package and stop installing.

i will reinstall and retry, if problem perciste, i will create a new thread.

I would like to use CentOs 4.3 64 bits with plesk 8...

¿Is this supported? ¿Is it a good idea? ¿Can I just install CentOS 4.3 - 64 bits on a new machine and install Plesk 8 normaly?

Thanks

We use redhat el4, but we tested the system in centos 4.3 and all went smoothly.

Tried debian with it originally and had problems.

Currently i'm using plesk 8.0.1 in Debian Sarge.
And the only thing i had to do in order to smoothly install Plesk, was to add the contrib and non-free repositories in apt-get.

The installation wen't like a charm as plesk used apt-get and automaticaly installed everything without a need to deal with config files.

There's no need to edit any config files on non-apt systems either. And on non-Debian systems you don't need to enable any extra repositories either.

I installed 8.0.1 on Ubuntu 5.10 and couldn't be happier...sorry Turtle but I've never had installs go so wonderfully before Ubuntu!

There was so much documentation with Ubuntu and the installation is easy and well laid out. Apt-get is much nicer to use than yum and no dependency issues which have always been such a nightmare with rpm based distros I've used. Can't tell you how many hours I've wasted trying to reslove issues like that on top of the Plesk ones.

I've been using CentOS 3 and 4 for sometime but they don't support the 2 sensors chips on my Dual PIII Supermicro servers which I must have to monitor temps and such. Ubuntu's kernel did with no problem and it even recognized both chips.

Webmin, APF, lm-sensors installed beautifully also. If this system tests stable I think I'm staying with Ubuntu. What a feeling to have it all "just work", Plesk included with no issues....first time I can say that in many years with using Plesk.

Guess I'm a heathen but I'm a happy one with a lot more time on my hands!

Hope Plesk will support Ubuntu 6.06 soon!

Back