• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Best OS For Plesk Onyx for Linux

KrazyBob

Regular Pleskian
We are finally upgrading everything. Finally. We have older neglected servers that are a pain in the butt. I own issues I created due to health issues. I'm trying to get files off of a Centos based system and I don't want to start a war here. But I am tired of asking for help at Centos and being treated like a child. Instead of an answer to a legitimate question I get arrogance.

Let let me ask clearly.

What is the best OS for Plesk Onyx? I was new to linux and learned on Centos but its time to learn something else. PLEASE. No wars here. Just straight answers.

Hi KrazyBob,

actually, there is never any "war" here and the forum users are all friendly and try to help, when ever they are able to. ;)

From my point of view, there is no "Best OS", as I think it's rather just like with colors... either you like it greenlime, or you don't. :p

Administrating servers with Debian, Ubuntu and CentOS, I can tell you, that Plesk Onyx works great with all of them and there are sometimes just other paths, or different names and I just prefer Debian/Ubuntu a bit more, because I work longer with both of these two and they publish updates/upgrades a bit faster than on CentOS - which doesn't count for Plesk updates/upgrades/patches, which are ( most of the time = 95 %; I guess ) for all supported operating systems. :)

I always say that the OS should be chosen on a simple principle - which package management system do you know better - rpm (yum) or dpkg (apt-get)? :)
With which of them do you feel more confident?

I agree that it should be that simple. But the issue is a lack of support by Centos. They choose ridicule instead of offering help. We've tried installing 6.9-64 down to 6.2 and SSH won't turn on even after making changes manually to ifcfg-eth0. We've tried setup using Configure Network where you can tell the OS to allow SSH and it too fails. Instead of "help" we get ridicule like "why are you so stupid using an older version...?" Because we're trying to save files in containers as we move data centers. If we can't get help from arrogant experts that look down on those that know less maybe its time to change. I am comfortable with yum and I'm far from stupid. I haven't survived since 1997 knowing nothing. maybe someone here can help.

BOOTPROTO needs to be changed to static. ONBOOOT changed to yes. NM_Manager changed to no when manually editing ifcfg-eth0 and 1. Its in their FAQ but they refuse to help with such a stupid question.

Hi KrazyBob,

pls. consider NOT to mix threads ( depending on the topic and starting post ) and open a thread for EACH issues/problem/question/input you have.
( it's rather confusing for forum users and users who found a thread with the help of search engines, when thread posts don't meet the thread title and it's starting post! ;) )

I've explored a few different linux distros and personally find Debian the most comfortable to use.
There are also plenty of support resources out there to help you.

As others has said, it all comes down to personal choice as Plesk will work on a good number of them. I personally prefer CentOS just because I'm more familiar with it. I do have a VM that's running Ubuntu Server that I'm using for 1 application, and I think I have another but can't remember without opening up vSphere which involves connecting to the VPN which I'm too lazy to do lol. But with all the other linux servers I'm running is CentOS based.

So yea, like I said, no real winner, just personal choice what is more comfortable to you.

personal choice is CentOS.
Knew vitually nothing of any *nix, apart from some solaris experimentation during University - so started unbiased.

reasoning behind it:
1) wanted rock-solid OS with extremely few issues [out-the-box]
2) wanted long support cycle
3) didn't care too much about new/newer/newest feature availabilty in OS [as clients run basic, stock-standard sites]

x) am myself rather a bit "old-fashioned" - prefer what's been around for a while and is proven to run properly, instead of cutting-edge [but possibly somewhat buggy / needs constant updates] - and advise our clients accordingly. So far [for many years now, since Plesk 8 [well, 9.5 actually counts)], everyone happy :)

Works for me, but might not work for others :)
Tom

I don't believe I am mixing threads. I told you why I came here. Please respect that I own a stash of perpetual licenses for Plesk and Virtuozzo. I described how I was treated poorly at CentOS and asked what the best OS was. I was asked in so many words why I was asking and I told the problem. Threads go that way. When I wrote no wars here please that was my experience since 1981 - yes 1981 - running a bulletin board including being a master vBulletin operator. I too wanted to stay on topic. Some people get rather fanatical about their preferences and I wanted to avoid that as well...

It seems that CentOS is the preferred OS.

Thank you for your replies. I have been using Cent OS since version 3. Our servers were always 64-bit with relatively few problems with the OS. But when there was a question there was a problem getting answers which I believe is relative to asking the question of what the best OS is. The question is multi parted. Some would say Ubuntu is the best because they have better support. Others would say they like CentOS because it handles multi-threading better.
I will stick to CentOS in spite of their arrogant and condescending support.

I have been doing this full-time since 1997 and I don't consider myself new. Sometimes I just don't know the answer. It happens.

The solution to our problem if anyone is concerned was that in past versions we were able to give a subnet for internal IPs using the second NIC. In version 7 you can only list one gateway. In prior versions you could.

So my question is now answered and the reason as to why it was asked was given. I frowned and being told how to post unless I'm breaking a rule. Thank you to Our Guest.

I am using Debian for on Plesk hosting and using Centos for Directadmin. I see that Plesk is pretty fast when running on Debian.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are finally upgrading everything. Finally. We have older neglected servers that are a pain in the butt. I own issues I created due to health issues. I'm trying to get files off of a Centos based system and I don't want to start a war here. But I am tired of asking for help at Centos and being treated like a child. Instead of an answer to a legitimate question I get arrogance filezilla uc browser rufus.

Let let me ask clearly.

What is the best OS for Plesk Onyx? I was new to linux and learned on Centos but its time to learn something else. PLEASE. No wars here. Just straight answers.
Onyx works great with all of them and there are sometimes just other paths, or different names and I just prefer Debian/Ubuntu a bit more, because I work longer with both of these two and they publish updates/upgrades a bit faster than on CentOS - which doesn't count for Plesk updates/upgrades/patches, which are ( most of the time = 95 %; I guess ) for all supported operating systems

Back