• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Best way to do some update or upgrade!

PietroV

Basic Pleskian
Hi!

After some years of using Plesk and after uncountable updates and upgrades I have to say... Don't do it!
There till today no update nor upgrade whitout bugs or trouble. Only the microupdates are ok.

So we used to wait an half year since we upgrade our Plesk version, because then there is enough expierce with troubleshooting etc...
But this time we couldn't wait, cause in Plesk 10.4.4 is a big big security bug and some bad guys selling already a exploit software to capture a Plesk 10.4.4 server.

So, we tried and wonder... yes... trouble with the upgrade. Apache won't work anymore. Solutions? No, cause the problem is to young.

So in future we need to have a spareserver, which we immigrate all costumers from a server, which we want to update. Make a new install on the productiv server and bring the costumers back to it...

Thats the only way, how a update or upgrade work without bigger problems...

Thanks guys!

Some recent vulnerability claims seem to be based on old vulnerabilities that already have been patched –but possibly where Passwords were not completely reset or where Customers changed back to old and vulnerable passwords. We are currently investigating this new reported vulnerability on Plesk 10.4 and earlier. At this time the claims are unsubstantiated and we are unable to confirm this vulnerability and cannot confirm that this vulnerability is limited to any specific operating system.

Read more information in the article http://kb.parallels.com/en/114330

And as always the only way to keep a safe and secure server free from Vulnerabilities is to keep an updated software and server.

Sure, only a updated server is secure! But if the server doesn't work anymore after an update or upgrade, is the best way to close down the companym, isn't? I couldn't be the ambition of an update or upgrade, that service personal is busy for hours (maybe sometimes longer) to do some troubleshooting.

Pietro, true Plesk 11 is still painful, but its getting better and more stable everyday with the new MUs

i have had many troubles upgrading from 10.4.4. to 11.0.9 (debian squeeze), i found solutions and i post in to thead my solutions.
Now I would know: which is the suggestd way to upgarde:
webgui or

Code:
/opt/psa/admin/sbin/autoinstaller
or
Code:
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/autoinstaller

I suppose the latter, butI would be sure :)

had big problems on my open suse 11.4 yesterday. the upgrade from 10.4.4 to 11.0.9 comes a little bit to early... i do some steps from the pre upgrade info (kb) and execute it and then the update begins WITHOUT my confirmation.

update runs and then - the mu-updates from the 10 version will installed over the plesk 11 version !?!?

so - panel was broken (ip-dual-stack problem), apache was broken (didn't run and then misconfiguration), imap/pop3 auth was broken... (one of the pre-install infos was, that I have a inconsistence in my pam-configuration - i find out, that i have a gnome-screenreader, which needs the smartcard module, which i don't had installed) i execute the installer more than once, try bootstrapper repair - nothing works. So i deinstall plesk via yast except the autoinstaller - all psa and plesk packages was removed - then i reinstalled with the autoinstaller and now - after this ALL LOOKS FINE...

puhhh.....

Except: My courier imap configuration was killed one time again... Since I use Plesk, I had to reconfigure my Courier Imap 3 or 4 times. Everytime the configuration will erased and set to the original configuration.

Next days I have to upgrade my Open Suse 11.4 to 12.1 - because support will expire in 3-4 weeks... OMFG!!!

Last edited:
had big problems on my open suse 11.4 yesterday. the upgrade from 10.4.4 to 11.0.9 comes a little bit to early... i do some steps from the pre upgrade info (kb) and execute it and then the update begins WITHOUT my confirmation.

update runs and then - the mu-updates from the 10 version will installed over the plesk 11 version !?!?

so - panel was broken (ip-dual-stack problem), apache was broken (didn't run and then misconfiguration), appvalley imap/pop3 auth was broken... (one of the pre-install infos was, that I have a inconsistence in my pam-configuration - i find out, that i have a gnome-screenreader, which needs the smartcard module, which i don't had installed) i execute the installer more than once, try bootstrapper repair - nothing works. So i deinstall plesk via yast except the autoinstaller - all psa and plesk packages was removed - then i reinstalled with the autoinstaller and now - after this ALL LOOKS FINE...

puhhh.....

Except: My courier imap configuration was killed one time again... Since I use Plesk, I had to reconfigure my Courier Imap 3 or 4 times. Everytime the configuration will erased and set to the original configuration.

Next days I have to upgrade my Open Suse 11.4 to 12.1 - because support will expire in 3-4 weeks... OMFG!!!

Hello, Daniel H

I have the same problem... Did you found any solution for this?

Finally, I have upgraded 11.0.9. Now it's working...

Last edited:
Back