• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question blocked ip in Fail2ban and iptables in Syslog Watch again

shopuser

Basic Pleskian
Hi,

any ip adress are in fail2ban with the status blocked, and also in the ip tables ( per SSH added), but in the sys-log in plesk i can see the ip again with hacking activities, is this normal ?

Hi,

If IP-address is blocked by a firewall, you shouldn't see hacking activities in logs at the same time.
Maybe ban was temporary and activities start again after unblock or IP-addresses every time is different.

the ip is blocked in fail2ban, maybe works fail2ban not correctly.

in the log from fail2ban i can see :

2018-02-01 14:22:19,205 fail2ban.actions [1454]: NOTICE [plesk-postfix] 54.xx.xx.xxx already banned

in the sys-log i can see the:

Feb 1 14:17:45 plesk_saslauthd[16120]: No such user 'service@xxx' in mail authorization database
Feb 1 14:17:45 plesk_saslauthd[16120]: failed mail authenticatication attempt for user 'service@xxxxx' (password len=25)
Feb 1 14:17:45 postfix/smtpd[15879]: warning: 220.ip-x-x.eu[xxxxxxxx]: SASL LOGIN authentication failed: authentication failure

Last edited:
I suggest check firewall and firewall rules. Is it really active and really filter traffic from the IP-address? Fail2ban does not ban by itself, it is use system's firewall for that.

Back