• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Building A Member Area?

dave-ha

Regular Pleskian
Hi,

I would like to build a web site for a social club featuring a password protected member area with a couple of subpages.

There is an option in WPB to protect a page with a username and password, but it is limited to one user. Each club member would need individual credentials and if possible with a feature to manage the profile. How do you build such a thing with WPB?

Okay, I take the silence as a no, no idea or i don't care :eek:)

Here is a solution for the multi-user question:
1.) Protect the directory of the member area in Plesk, not in WPB: Websites & Domains > Show Advanced Operations > Password-protected Directories.
2.) Create the users: Click the directory > click Add New User.

So, club member get their own credentials. Does anyone know how they can manage (retrieve, update) their password by themselves?

A related question: Currently, WPB uploads all documents into one single directory data/documents/. I assume that if you want to offer documents in a members area for members only you had to:

a) upload them into with Plesk File Manager or FTP into the member area directory, e.g. members/documents/. However, those documents would not appear in the menu when you insert a document link, neither could you manage them with WPB.

or

b) upload them with WPB into the default documents directory data/documents/ and manage two identical sets of credentials in Plesk: one for the members area directory and one for the default documents directory. This solution implies that you don't offer other documents that are publicly accessible.

Both ways don't seem to be ideal or intuitive. So I wonder what Parallels recommends and what the plans are for a community feature in WPB?

I now have another customer who is interested in a website with a member area containing documents and I wonder if and how this can be realised with Web Presence Builder? I am greatful for any advice.

Hi,

if you not interested in the strong security, you can implement this with simple javascript code:
1. Some small javascript code on page will authorize customer.
2. Only after authorization it will show list of documents for downloading (for example by changing "display" css property).

Generally, with "script" module you can include onto your pages any custom solution (php and js) with any logic you want. So, you can install any custom php backend, where you can manage your customers and include it into WPB site through "script" module like:
Code:
<?php
require_once('../your_system/lib.php');
show_documents();

Back