• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Cannot download a backup.

ProWebS

Regular Pleskian
Hello,

when my client logins to Plesk and tried to download the backup (subscription -> Website & Domains -> Backup Manager -> press on the green download button)
it shows the page:

Download the Backup File
Backup security settings In order to improve backup security, we recommend that you protect the backup with a password. This makes impossible for an attacker to obtain sensitive data in case the security of your backup storage is compromised. Note that if you forget your password, it cannot be recovered. Therefore, it is strongly recommended to keep a list of your passwords and corresponding backup file names in a safe place.

If you untick "Use password protection" and press OK it just returns you backup to the Backup Manager page.
If you press the green download button the same thing happens.

If you tick "Use password protection" and type a password and press OK , the same thing happens again, the same loop.
Any ideas?

Keep in mind that the backup file is big (3.57 GB)

Are they waiting long enough?

PLESK goes away (which ever option you choose) and builds a single compressed file before it puts up a dialog to the user for where they want to store it. Given, as you say, this is a large backup, that might take some time.

I have seen the same issue with our clients where large backups are involved. Assuming there is no internal time out and it will eventually display the dialogue box I believe the issue is a lack of any visual prompt to indicate its doing something. most people will wait 20 or 30 seconds but few would expect to hang around for several minutes in case of a larger d/l.

thank you for the replies, you are both correct,
I did try this myself
and after I did press on download button and used no password prection I checked the server with a top -c command
and I see
24374 root 20 0 19064 1100 908 D 0.7 0.1 0:01.67 /bin/tar -f - -c -h -T /tmp/filexUhOi8
so it seems plesk compress all the files into a single one for download and this will take much time considering how big the backup file is..

Last edited:
Back