• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Cannot login after initial install - ModSecurity PCRE limits exceeded (-8)

Amiram Stark

New Pleskian
Hi,

I just installed Plesk in demo mode on a Windows 2016 VPS with enough RAM and disk space.

When I tried to login, the login screen just kept re-appearing without any error message (the userid and password were correct).

I checked the Windows application log and for each login attempt there were quite a few error messages with "ModSecurity" and "PCRE limits exceeded (-8)" for various URIs.

I removed the ModSecurity modules (32 and 64 bit) from the pleskcontrolpanel site in IIS and now I can enter Plesk, but I'm not sure that removing these modules are the right thing to do (they exist in all other Web sites and don't cause any issue).

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Hello Amiram Stark,

How many of vCPU and Memory installed in VPS? What Plesk version and micro-updates installed (e.g. output of `plesk version`)? How are you install Plesk? Could you please provide steps to reproduce the issue?

Plesk installer removes ModSecurity module from Plesk website automatically. At least it should do this. It looks like something goes wrong with installation. Detailed analysis of installation logs is required to understand root cause.

Thanks for the replies. Since this was a test system, I re-installed the OS - and now everything works fine, which proves that computers are not consistent machines :)

Back